Yet another install order topic

Drewl

Hi

I am returning to the BG franchise after a long hiatus, and I'm ready for a grand and challenging adventure. Meaning heavy modding!

I don't know a lot about how to do it properly though. I did mod a bit a while back, but I have forgotten close to everything about it. Especially about the logic of install orders, and this time I have a pretty long list I'd like to try out. I'm only playing BG II and ToB btw.

Okay, here goes:

Ascension

Tactics

Item Upgrade

Kelsy

Solaufin

Valen

Keto

Xan

Spellhold Gauntlet

Redemption

The Longer Road

Rogue Redemption

Unfinished Business

Quest Pack

Virtue

Assassinations

G3 BGII Fix + Tweak Pack

Spell Revisions

Banter Pack

All the friendship mods

I recall something about doing NPC's last, and Virtue causing me problems last time around, but I like the whole internal/external rep thing. Can you guys help me out? If you don't mind a quick exposition on why I shoul install what first, that would be great. I tried looking around for a simple guide, but I didn't have much luck (or skill perhaps lol). So please help out, I'm anxious to get back in the game :D

Thanks!

Huh, okay. I guess that means I should check out The Big World project. Thanks.
Indeed it does... but it doesn't mean you can't ask questions about it... it's actually preferable that you would.

Ouh, and the Virtue mod won't be working "as intended"... so it won't be able to be installed even with the BWS.

The virtue mod won't work as intended? I chose it during the installation, and I don't remember it causing any conflicts. Unfinished business caused quite a few, but virtue didn't seem to be a problem. Can you elaborate on that? Was really looking forward to some decent reputation mechanics.

Maybe this isn't the appropriate thread/place to ask more questions, so if not, let me know. But here goes :)

I want to play a fighter/assassin, but changing the appearance to male thief with Shadowkeeper didn't work. As soon as I put on a piece of armor, it reverted back to the fighter model. I then read about the Tweak Pack morphing script, but I don't know how to use it. The G3 website said, that you have to assign the script to the character you want to change and then press 'S'. How do I assign the script? And will this even fix the issue?

Also, I installed the widescreen and resolution mods, but now I'm unable to switch between resolutions with the BG setup menu. I remember agreeing to use a specific resolution, but it looks a bit small to be honest, so I'd like to enlarge it a bit. Is there another menu for the mod I should be using instead of the normal BG settings or what's up with that?

I feel like I just pressed a big red button with the BWS thing without really having a clue what I was doing O_O

Well, as I remember it, the Virtue mod doesn't account all the action in all mods, especially the ones made after it, so... but I am not completelly sure. I would trust the BWS/BWP... as long as the mod is included in the Tactical Compilation, everything is good. In other words, DO NOT install the eXpert Compilation, as that's broken.

I want to play a fighter/assassin, but changing the appearance to male thief with Shadowkeeper didn't work. As soon as I put on a piece of armor, it reverted back to the fighter model. I then read about the Tweak Pack morphing script, but I don't know how to use it. The G3 website said, that you have to assign the script to the character you want to change and then press 'S'. How do I assign the script? And will this even fix the issue?
Well, the bigger problem is, there's already a script that "correct" avatar you use to the one based on the armor you wear. Search for the word "avatar" in you change.log file... open it with Notepad.

Also, I installed the widescreen and resolution mods, but now I'm unable to switch between resolutions with the BG setup menu. I remember agreeing to use a specific resolution, but it looks a bit small to be honest, so I'd like to enlarge it a bit. Is there another menu for the mod I should be using instead of the normal BG settings or what's up with that?
No there is not. The game files need to be changed to make the adjustment to larger scale as the view can go off the map border, making the need to adjust them during the installation. That sums to the fact that the mod needs to forgo the part in the baldur.ini's configuration, which the BGConfig.exe changes(the BG setup menu).

Hmm, you're right about the virtue mod. I was warned about it being an expert mod, so I probably installed the broken one. This is further indicated by the fact, that killing the Duegars that jump me in the second hallway of Casa Irenicus all cause me to lose 2 virtue per kill. Eventhough they try to murder me. Lol.

I really want the thief avatar too, so I'm thinking I'll reinstall, and this time be more careful about what I choose. If I want to avoid the automatic correction of the avatar, or gain the option of changing it in game whenever I want (and thereby avoiding the use of Shadowkeeper entirely), what would I need to install/avoid installing next time?

I'm not sure I understand you on the widescreen thing. It sounds like I either have to live with the smaller interface or avoid the mod entirely, and then use the standard 800x600 format.

Also, thanks for helping out. I never thought it would be this much effort just to get some BG action going again. At least I don't have to figure it out all on my own :D

I really want the thief avatar too, so I'm thinking I'll reinstall, and this time be more careful about what I choose. If I want to avoid the automatic correction of the avatar, or gain the option of changing it in game whenever I want (and thereby avoiding the use of Shadowkeeper entirely), what would I need to install/avoid installing next time?
Well, the mod component name is the "1pp: Thieves Galores component Improved Improved Galactygon's Avatar Switching", as the BG2 Tweakpacks avatar changing is not installed, which you probably might want to... or you can go and just not install either and make the permanent adjustment using the Shadowkeeper, but it's only permanent if you don't install other avatar changing mods...

I'm not sure I understand you on the widescreen thing. It sounds like I either have to live with the smaller interface or avoid the mod entirely, and then use the standard 800x600 format.
Well, you can adjust the screen size to what you like it to be... the resolutions your desktop has are good reference on what to pick on as.

Also, thanks for helping out. I never thought it would be this much effort just to get some BG action going again. At least I don't have to figure it out all on my own :D
Well, you are more than welcome... yeah, it takes some tries to get it to work like one exactly wants... been trying that for the last, say 5 years. :p

Archived