Possible Bug with Edwin's Dialogue about Dynaheir

Lohot

Hi, am very new to BG and am playing my first time through using BGT.

My party is evil-aligned and so I helped Edwin kill Dynaheir in the fortress.

At the time, he agreed to join me and offer his services for a year, so I assumed that his time limit for killing her was removed.

My journal was also updated with a new entry titled "Meddling Mages".

Now, however, it's days later and he has just complained about my not killing her, saying "what part of "I command you to kill the Rashemi witch" did you not understand? Mayhaps I should put it in simpler, shorter words?"

I found this quote in Near Infinity and it's listed as State 215 in EdwinJ.dlg, and since the trigger lists X#EdwinDynaheir, I assume that it's part of this mod.

There seems to be something keeping Edwin from realising that I killed Dynaheir as he asked.

My question is, has the game not recognised that Dynaheir is dead? Is there a risk of him quitting my party because his conditions have not been met?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Hello -

The good news is that you are safe from having him leave, or do anything at all for this first talk.

The bad news is something has gone wrong with the game a little, because in order to get that talk, the following has to trigger:

/* X#EdwinDynaheir, first talk */
IF %BGT_VAR%
RealGlobalTimerExpired("X#EDDynaTalkTime","GLOBAL")
Global("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",1)
InParty(Myself)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
See(Player1)
!StateCheck("dynaheir",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
PlaySong(0)
PlaySound("edwin99")
IncrementGlobal("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",1)
StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

!StateCheck("dynaheir",CD_STATE_NOTVALID) should have stopped this block from ever firing. It says that Dy is not notvalid, or in other words, Dy is ok and ready for dialog.

But she's dead.

The second talk in the series will never fire for you, as it is condition not only with that "Dy is not ok" but also that she is in the party (which she most definitely isn't in your game). That talk ends with Edwin promising to kill her, which he does just after the next party resting, leaving the party to resurrect her and continue on or simply drop her from the party.

Just to be absolutely sure, you can set the following in CLUAConsole to make sure the entire sequence is skipped:

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",7)

On this point, the original materials were designed to run that first talk whether or not Dy was in the party... because folks could recruit Dy and have her dismissed, and wander away fo awhile and then loop back and have both Dy and Edwin in the party.

This could be tightened by adding InParty("Dynaheir") on the initial blocks, separating the initializing block from

/* start the timer */
IF %BGT_VAR%
InParty(Myself)
Global("X#EDPCTimerStarted","GLOBAL",0)
Global("X#EdwinFriendTalk","GLOBAL",0)
Global("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
RealSetGlobalTimer("X#EDFriendTalkTime","GLOBAL",3600)
RealSetGlobalTimer("X#EDDynaTalkTime","GLOBAL",7200)
SetGlobal("X#EDPCTimerStarted","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("X#EdwinFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",1)
END

to

/* start the timer */
IF %BGT_VAR%
InParty(Myself)
Global("X#EDPCTimerStarted","GLOBAL",0)
Global("X#EdwinFriendTalk","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
RealSetGlobalTimer("X#EDFriendTalkTime","GLOBAL",3600)
SetGlobal("X#EDPCTimerStarted","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("X#EdwinFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1)
END

/* start the timer */
IF %BGT_VAR%
InParty(Myself)
InParty("Dynaheir")
Global("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
RealSetGlobalTimer("X#EDDynaTalkTime","GLOBAL",7200)
SetGlobal("X#EdwinDynaheir","GLOBAL",1)
END

That would mean that Dy had to at least join the party to set things in motion, and folks who never picked her up would not get the "kill her" talks.

Thanks for your reply, very informative, especially for someone new to all this like me!

It makes sense that my install got slightly messed up, since there are lots of mods involved.

More importantly, at least I can get to keep Edwin in my party in order to finish my evil run-through!

Archived