Install Order

Galefury

Hey, I very slightly messed up and installed Ascension after the fixpack. According to the SCS readme I shouldn't have done that, so I thought I would ask here why. The rest of my install order is fine. How likely is this small mixup to cause problems, and, if there will be major problems, is there any way to fix them?

Also I installed the Ascension tougher Demogorgon component by mistake, I prefer the SCS version. Is it overwritten by SCS Improved Fiends or will I have to make do with the Ascension version?

Hey, I very slightly messed up and installed Ascension after the fixpack. According to the SCS readme I shouldn't have done that, so I thought I would ask here why. The rest of my install order is fine. How likely is this small mixup to cause problems, and, if there will be major problems, is there any way to fix them?

Well, the fix is install the Ascension before the Fixpack, dah... or use the fixes that others made, for previous generations of the BG2 Fixpack, and yes, you need to manually make the fixes. And then live with the bugs that haven't been fixed.

And how severe are the problems, example one is that you can't kill the few trolls that you kinda need to to finish the game meaning that they end your game there, yey... the Ascension forum should give you the answer... this thread gives you some of that stuff.

Other is to use the Big Pictures Ascension component and/or megamoding tools like the BWS to get better handle to the mods that you intent to install with increased compatibility as a virtue due to the included fixes made to the mods.

Well, I noticed this problem halfway through SoA, and in other threads it has been mentioned that changing mods in the middle of a game will very frequently cause severe bugs. Is changing the install order actually fine and only installing different mods causes problems? Or is there some point where it's pretty safe to switch my savegame over to a different mod install order? Or am I simply screwed?

Thanks for the link, maybe it will help fix some of the issues.

Or am I simply screwed?

Well, pretty much ... yeah.

Well, actually if you go and alter the files with moding tools like you have to with the given advice, you can fix the few problems that are in the thread, but say if you wish to actually have a bug free experience, I would strongly suggest a reinstall and replay. And if you reinstall, your saves are worthless.

Archived