question on modifying existing NPC behavour

So I will soon be starting attempt #3 (over the course of a couple of years now..sad I know) at my BG:EE mod, which is some changes large and small, and mostly it's altering existing NPC behaviour. I've looked at guides and stuff (which tend to revolve more around creating characters from scratch) and attempting something which I considered to simple and just never really had any luck with it. I suspect I'm just not getting it, and I realise it's mostly my own fault as I tend to have to relearn from scratch each time as I leave big gaps between attempts.

Does anyone have some advice for making mods that alter existing stuff rather than creating it from scratch? Is there a good rule of thumb for file management when dealing with existing creatures/chars/items? I can understand the tech stuff as written, it's knowing what I need to write myself that's the issue.

Example of something simple I've tried and had issues:

Changes I want to make for Xan:

• Xan always takes his sword when leaving the party

• If Xan is rescued but not taken as a party member, he leaves but is waiting outside the Kobold lair (AR5404) if the party has his sword, he then interrupts and takes his sword before leaving.

• If the party leaves his sword in the chest it disappears when they exit the lair's area map (AR5405).

dialogue additions:

1. I see you found my Moon blade. It is of course useless in your primitive hands, so I'll be taking it and my leave, thank you. (good/neutral)

2. That's *my* Moon blade you're waltzing around with, thank you! Good day! (evil).

I get so far doing this and then I get weird issues like multiple Xans spawning, no dialogue etc. I never get things working smoothly. I suspect it's because I'm screwing around with the wrong files, or the right files in the wrong way. The fact he has multiple versions at different levels as a party member confuses things somewhat.

If I can crack this, I'm sure I can get on with the rest of my alternations which involves adding quests and dialogue to other existing NPCs and party members (at which point I'm sure I'll be back here asking questions about tougher things to implement like unique items!)

Alternatively, if there's anyone more interested in the technical side rather than coming up with content I'm willing to do a collaboration, as having this mod available to play is marginally more important to me than a fulfilling journey and learning process.

Thanks any and all for your time. Much respect to all of you.

Changes I want to make for Xan:

* Xan always takes his sword when leaving the party

* If Xan is rescued but not taken as a party member, he leaves but is waiting outside the Kobold lair

I see you found my Moon blade. It is of course useless in your primitive hands, so I'll be taking it and my leave, thank you. (good/neutral)

That's *my* Moon blade you're waltzing around with, thank you! Good day! (evil).

That's bad... you should make it so that the player can say: NO. And as the looser with the long ears doesn't know who the bhallspawn is, he first ask, then demands, and then picks a fight... in which multiple things can happen, but mostly a mutilated Xan, and a shiny sword stays in the backpack of the charname(that nearly everyone can't use). :devlook:

I'm not trying to expand it that much. His sword can't be used for anything, so there's little point in extending it beyond a small joke and 'tightening up' the encounter, IMO. It always bugged the hell out of me that he's happy to leave without his sword, as most people playing speak to him first (he leaves), then open the chest and find the sword.

Archived