Buff - play spell effect as long as duration?

Hey guys

I want to add an effect to a spell that's attached to the caster, and lasts as long as the duration.

Let's say I want to add a 3D effect to Spell Trap that follows you around, here's what I've tried so far:

COPY_EXISTING ~spwi902.spl~ ~override~
		LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT 
			INT_VAR 
			opcode = 215  // opcode for "Play 3D effect"
			target = 1  // self
			timing = 0  // Instant/Custom duration
			power = 4 // no idea what that does but it's what they used on Fireshield (Blue)
			resist_dispel = 3 
			parameter2 = 1  //  Attached to self
			duration = 108   // 108 seconds for testing purpose ... it lasts 1 second
			STR_VAR
			insert_point = 1
			resource = dx#trap   // BAM resource
		END
	BUT_ONLY

I've tried all sorts of permutations of the above parameters but I can't get it to work. Always just lasts like 1 second then disappears, although it pops again for a second when casting a new spell (????) 

Is there a more straightforward way to attach a 3D effect to a buff spell? I've checked all the buff spells in the game but it really seems like their effects are hardcoded. Stoneskin, for example, adds "Stoneskin effect" to the spell. So customizable!

Thanks!

resource = dx#trap   // BAM resource

AFAIK This opcode can use. bam and .vvc files (preferring .vvc if both resources exist with the same name).

Are you using a .vvc file here with the proper (looping) flags? I don't think using a .bam file allows for custom durations.

(..and even if you could, without a .vvc you can't set proper blending modes and such..)

Edited by Ulb