Installation hang up when migrating BG1 content (with error)

Have been trying to install EET for a few times with different combinations (including all latest versions of the games and the tools and also tried older versions, both the games and also the installer, as well), every time it stopped and hang (need to Ctrl-C to break it off) at the same step:

BG1801.ARE issue: Rest Spawn creature file does not exist (ÿÿ.cre)! Nulling...

I am guessing it relates to the strange characters of this creature file.  

The latest run I've done:

1) both BG1 and BG2 are of latest versions, totally clean without any mods, directly go to EET importation

2) Modmerged BG1 as I'm using Steam

3) EET installer was 12.2

Because the installer hanged, the debug file doesn't contain the above error line (It's too large >700K even zipped thus can't be uploaded here).

Using Win10 latest build and all anti-virus and even wifi was disabled during the installation.

Any help is highly appreciated!!

Edited by deathbringer

I have the exactly same issue and i took the exactly same steps that you did including modmerge because of having the steam version.

i'm also using win10 latest build

My error line is :

BG1801.ARE issue: Rest Spawn creature file does not exist (ÿÿ.cre)! Nulling...

I would also love if someone could help.

It's just reports an error in the source file... it shouldn't break the game. Nor stop the install. Like it says(nulling), it removes the incorrect things in the resulting file. And should move on...

It's not an error that will stop the install.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Yeah, I was also thinking it shouldn't break anything but in fact it does and also it does so many times (just re-downloaded everything and started again and same issue that halted the whole installation, I waited for more than 2 hours and I think it's really halted and need to Ctrl-C again)

Yet this time I took Morywen's advice to use dlc merger instead of modmerge, but same result.  Not sure what has happened...

I have gone through my eet logs. This message is regulary displayed. So non of my installations have had issues to continue. I use the GoG Version, so it' s a bit different. 

Are you trying to install in the steam folder or elsewhere? Next step is patching the dlg. Maybe there is the problem. I can take only a guess.

Nah, it was moved to d drive root and all the permissions were checked.  Suspected there's something to do with the latest win10 build - i have another laptop which i did installed successfully couple of months before and i tried to apply latest win10 patch to update it; then i found that the installed eet was broken (many "invalid string references" appear on screen and rendered it unplayable...so I believe it might have something to do with win 10 latest patch