Is it possible to append new dialogs to dialog.tlk?

Wizer13

Hi everyone, 

I tried many things, can't seem to work around this issue. Before you ask, no, I'm no programmer and still working around the logistics.

I'm only trying to append new strings of dialog with a @reference to the dialog.tlk, so when the mod I'm trying to make loads the right line. 

Examples from a .tra file I wanna use: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

@104385= ~Kamus weapon contraption~

@104386 = ~This strange apparatus helps to mechanically draw and swing your weapons with a spring, gaining some serious advantage over your opponent.
STATISTICS:
-1 to attack speed modifier when worn;

Weight: 3~

@104387 = ~ Horace's client list~

@104388 = ~ This is a simple list of customers who bought the type of bone dagger used in captain Lufer's murder. The names listes are: Gregory Namel, Lukos Tanner, and Jilian Anders.~

@104389 = ~ Lukos Tanner record~

@104390 = ~(Summary: Lukos Tanner is referred a few times, nothing more, in various crimes throughout the city in the last four years. Assassin for hire, he participated in the murder of a shady merchant of opium in 126 of Hashkar; a revenge hit on the mob family of the Sharegraves in the Ragpicker's square; there is also a few accounts of larceny, extortion, and thievery.)~

@104391 = ~Malachia Grimm record~

@104392= ~(Summary: Malachia Grimm came from the prime world of Oerth, before raising to rank of factor of the Indeps in 125 of Hashkar. Freedom fighter and also suspected of several murders in the Hive, he has a repute of being quite the vigilante. Even his previous friends, Gontram, Fernos of the Sensates and Urim the monk cannot stand his fits anymore. Although he always maintained good relations with the Fated, they suspect he has something to do in the dead of factotum Traviss of the Fated in 127 of Hashkar.)~

@104393 = ~Factol Hashkar record~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I tried the Weidu command STRING_SET, but can't seem to make the most basic commands work in the weidu window. Just for a simple example, couldn't even --traify.tlk dialog .tlk ---out dialog.tra using this code:

Press Enter For More Options
C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG Galaxy\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\> weidu --traify-tlk dialog.tlk --out dialog.tra

As you can see, i put the path, etc. but the weidu window only gives a list of actions after each attempts, like below. And yes I used the latest version of weidu.

--yes         answer all TP2 questions with 'Yes'
  --uninstall   answer all TP2 questions with 'Uninstall'
  --reinstall   reinstall all installed TP2 components
  --language X  Set the language to X
  --force-install       X installs component X number (cumulative)
  --force-uninstall     X uninstalls component X number (cumulative)
  --force-install-rest  X Y... installs component number X, Y... (cumulative)
  --force-install-list  X Y... installs component number X, Y... (cumulative)
  --force-uninstall-rest        X Y... uninstalls component number X, Y... (cumulative)
  --force-uninstall-list        X Y... uninstalls component number X, Y... (cumulative)
  --quick-menu  X installs the quick menu selection X

Press Enter For More Options

After this failure, I tried .TP2 commands like EXTEND_BOTTOM but it doesn't work. The dialog.tlk won't accept changes from my dialog.tra.

Tried COPY_EXISTING ~dialog.tlk~ ~override~
        APPEND_FILE ~dialog.tlk~ ~FactionWar/dialog.tra~

Same results. 

So, if anyone knows how to add new strings with a @ ref. I would really appreciate. Thank you

Edited by Mike1072
cleaned up formatting

You don't need to manually append directly to dialog.tlk and then find and use the strings.  Weidu takes care of that for you behind the scenes, automatically.  Write out your .D file, COMPILE it, and... voila, the strings are there.

(Unless I've misunderstood the question.  I can't tell what, exactly, you are trying to do.  If you really need to do something manually, like STRING_SET or something, you can populate the result with a .tra entry with something like "RESOLVE_STR_REF (@123)"

Thx @subtledoctor, its just that my string refs weren't appearing in the mod. I complicated myself when I only had to add them to my .tra of my lang folder. Now it will work. 

But i still don't understand why the commands I try to use on weidu.exe never works. It only gives me other options and never process. Ah, well at least the main issue is resolved.