Advice for fixing compatibility with older mods

Guest Raziara

Guest Raziara

Hello, and thank you so much for updating these mods! They've been an absolution pleasure, and I appreciate all the work that went into this.

I know it's kind of a long shot, but I noticed this doesn't seem compatible with the Solaufein mod because of the trigger.ids being overwritten? I tried to add BG2EE triggers (CheckSpellSate being the important one in this instance) to the override trigger.ids, but Ellisime never appears. I know, this is a terrible solution that could have probably broken other mods.

I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice on fixing this? I wouldn't presume to ask for an updated Solaufein mod. I know that would probably be a lot of work. I have some scripting background, but no experience with BG2 modding. I'm willing to try and fix this for my own setup

I noticed newer mods use trigger patching for more compatibility, so I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in a good direction as far as learning how to edit this myself? Some tutorials, or maybe an explanation on how to write a mod to use trigger patching? 

Thank you for your time.

Well, you diff the trigger.ids file from BG2EE and the Solaufein moded BG2 game, probably with the help of Near Infinity to use to export the files, and then WinMerge to do the diff-ing, and you have your outline, then you just append the file with the outline. And remove the overwrite from the mod. Here's some reading; Weidu readme. Nope, you don't need to read the whole readme... or undestand 1/10th of the stuff, as you are better off reading a bunch of well commented .tp2 files. What that is is anyones guess.

Guest Raziara

Awesome, that helps quite a bit. 

The Ellesime issue was actually a separate thing; I had the older version of Longer Road installed (before I found this) and uninstalled it when I started ToB. I think that brought me to the incorrect area map, since I noticed there's one in the EE version for Ellesime and one for no Ellesime. Just a guess. I just loaded back a save before the final battle with the new Longer Road and she appeared properly.

Anyway, followed your advice and everything seems to be working right now. Thank you so much for making this possible. 😀