Beginners' Guide to Savegame Editing with Near Infinity

Posted (edited)
On 10/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, Lightbringer said:

Can someone explain exactly what EEKeeper does that is bad?  I looked all over G3 and didn't see anyone spell it out. I've been using it for years on games that go at least from Candlekeep to the Underdark, and I haven't noticed any problems yet.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, Lightbringer said:

I still use 'Keeper to edit global variables attached to my save, and to mess with special abilities and effects granted by kits.

Bit of a late response @Lightbringerbut just FWIW I can confirm that aside from some other issues and bugs eeKeeper *ALWAYS* breaks romances (at least for me) with any save (no matter how simple or small the edit was); and regardless of whether you overwrite or do the recommended process of saving as a new game save (which is what I normally always did). It manifests in BG2 EE by having romance related dialogues repeat (i.e. you go back numerous steps and get the same dialogues repeat again that you already had); and you can easily validate by checking love talk variables with the console in-game pre-edit and then again after you load the edited game. I only realised eeKeeper was no longer reliable about 3 years ago so had torn my hair out prior for a couple of full BG1-BG2 EE run throughs before then, not understanding why my Jaheira & Viconia romances were going haywire (along with a couple of other minor bugs) - until I got my head around the love talk variable resets and identified the cause!! Like you I had used eeKeeper for many years oblivious to the support ceasing, etc...

P.S. you can fix this by using console to update love talk variable to the correct value after you load the edited game, but a bit tedious remembering to check before and after for each companion LT value; and still leaves doubt if something else not obvious has also been corrupted or will impact options later in the game...

Edited by Mycenius

Hi all,

I have finally got BG2 EE working on my mac with various mods. I am wanting to make some changes to my characters and have downloaded Near Infinity and got to the main screen as shown on page 1 of the tutorial. However, the saved game files are not there. Currently they are being saved to iCloud Drive Documents folder. How do I get it so that Near Infinity can see my save game files? Thanks, Rich

1 hour ago, Guest Rich said:

Hi all,

I have finally got BG2 EE working on my mac with various mods. I am wanting to make some changes to my characters and have downloaded Near Infinity and got to the main screen as shown on page 1 of the tutorial. However, the saved game files are not there. Currently they are being saved to iCloud Drive Documents folder. How do I get it so that Near Infinity can see my save game files? Thanks, Rich

In the menu bar, go to "Game" - "Open Game" and choose the game you are playing. In my install I have EET which makes its own baldur.lua and savegame folders, so I had to point NI to the EET game. (I have a separate instance of BG2EE without EET installed, and the instance of NI in that game fodler points to the regular BG2EE game and sees its separate savegame folders.)

Alternatively, in the menus, try going to "Game" - "Game Properties" and edit the "Home Folder" field to point to the directory that contains your baldur.lua and the various savegame folders.

In my game it points to:

/Users/[me]/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Trilogy

Edited by subtledoctor
Guest GuestRich

Hi subtledoctor,

I have tried making an account but i cannot get past a security check (allowed pop ups and stopped java scripts could it be anything else?).

When I Click on Game and Open Game I get my game folder but it has 9 mods (6 new places in Athkatla and 3 NPCs). I cannot see what other folder to open.

If I try the Game and Game properties it says there is a parse error on baldur.lua but does open a screen up however it wont let me edit the home folder.

Thanks
Rich

OK so I moved the saved game i wanted to mod into my Games folder with the ChitIn key and Near Infinity recognised them. I made the amendments and saved them then moved the Baldur.gam folder back into my saved games and voila changes made.

16 hours ago, Guest Rich said:

OK so I moved the saved game i wanted to mod into my Games folder with the ChitIn key and Near Infinity recognised them. I made the amendments and saved them then moved the Baldur.gam folder back into my saved games and voila changes made.

thank you for sharing

Edited by james-morison