Beginners' Guide to Savegame Editing with Near Infinity

That timing mode means that it will naturally expire at some point. When "Duration" (which is fixed once the effect starts) is less than 15*"Elapsed game time (seconds)" (which increases as time passes), the effect will end.

But really, why can't you just delete the effect? What went wrong?

4 hours ago, Guest TinekeFrineke said:

Hi I am playing Planescape Torment EE but I have a problem: as soon as I exit Ravel's maze, I have a "Spell Failure" status. I reverted to a much older savegame but the same problem.

Have you installed the PST-UB mod? The latest mod release introduced the new optional component "Restored Spell Keys", which is intended to restrict spell casting abilities of The Nameless One in the Outer Planes, unless he has the right protection. You can find out more details in the mod's readme.

Edited by argent77
Improved phrasing
Guest TinekeFrineke

I deleted the entry from the save game but when I load it into my game it is still there, even though it no longer exists in the save game file. I see that the file is binary different, so it is saved. Should it normally work like that? Then maybe it is caused by something else? And I noticed it when I was a lot further in the game, like 10 days, so it does not expire.

8 minutes ago, Guest TinekeFrineke said:

argent77, thanks so much! I looked all over the internet for this problem, but it is a known issue after all!!! I'll go install it right away.

I guess my previous comment was a bit ambiguous about the mod component's intent. The spell failure issue is part of the quest, which TNO has to solve. I have improved the phrasing to make it clearer.

And mechanically speaking, here's why removing the effect from the save doesn't help: the "no spellcasting" effect is implemented as a short-duration effect that constantly gets reapplied by the area script. Sure, you can remove it, but a new instance will just get reapplied immediately.

I have a situation related to the earlier part of this post.  I was playing BG2 Enhanced edition and I lost Aerie.  My party was on level 5 of watchers keep and we were moving between Saladrex and the Demi-Lich when Aerie just disappeared from my party.  She is gone from the hub.  At the time of her disappearance she was over-encumbered but was not lagging very far behind the rest of the party.  I used Near Infinity to load the game files for my save and I found her - it says she is in the room with the demi-lich.  However, when I go there I cannot see her, even when I use the reveal details setting.  Near infinity lists her as a non-player character.  How can I add her back into my party successfully?  When I change the settings in near infinity it will allow me to set her as the final party member, but on the main screen she is still listed as a non-player character and does not show up in the game. I do not want to spawn her in using the console because she is carrying a scroll box that has all of my non-magical documents in it - plus I don't want to lose all the progress with her (and apparently I over-rode my save with her missing).  Any help I can get would be great.

Greetings!

First time using Near Infinity and I have an issue with it on Linux. When the launching the application, a blue file browser appears, pointing to my home directory.  The problem is that the Baldur's Gate directory is under the `.steam` directory, which is hidden by default. Inside this file browser, there is no way to display hidden files or search for hidden directories. Thankfully, I was able to get around this issue, by creating a symbolic link of the Steam directory, but I feel like that is a hacky solution.

Both the Flatpak and NearInfinity.jar have the same issue with this file browser. My default file browser on the system is Nautilus.

Other than that, thanks for the great mod :)

ne.png

On 9/22/2023 at 2:20 AM, LV426 said:

Greetings!

First time using Near Infinity and I have an issue with it on Linux. When the launching the application, a blue file browser appears, pointing to my home directory.  The problem is that the Baldur's Gate directory is under the `.steam` directory, which is hidden by default. Inside this file browser, there is no way to display hidden files or search for hidden directories. Thankfully, I was able to get around this issue, by creating a symbolic link of the Steam directory, but I feel like that is a hacky solution.

Both the Flatpak and NearInfinity.jar have the same issue with this file browser. My default file browser on the system is Nautilus.

I'll see if there is a way to turn on hidden file display in the "Open Game" file dialog in NI.

As a workaround you could place the NearInfinity.jar into the game directory and start it from there. NI will automatically detect the game in that case.

Moreover, the Flatpak version of Near Infinity should have set up a file association with the "chitin.key" file of the game. In that case you can simply navigate to the (hidden) folder of the game and open the chitin.key in the file manager.