A "level replay"?

I'm thinking of a changing an area so that it displays to the party in a completely different and confusing way, a sort of challenge raised against them by a sorcerer. And the area happens to be perfect for it, with unpredictable passages, rooms, gaps, dangerous enemies. All of that will seem to be tossed about, and it should be a lot of fun to try to navigate through that. But I'm kind of sorry to lose the impression this area would make in its proper form, and the NPC around, some of whom I edited myself. I would like to have my cake and eat it too: put some sort of magical plug or NPC to talk to or item that would restore the area to normalcy, and then the party would enjoy the proper sight of the rest of it. But by that point the ARE file and its WED would already be in the GAM file, so there will be no playing the area from scratch...

I have a couple of solutions in mind: 1) present the jumbled area as "unreal," add some glows, then, when the trigger is found and activated, the party will be taken to the ordered, "real" version of the area to play through. Making a whole place an illusion is not desirable, though, the relevance and impression that end up conveyed are, as Donald Trump would say, weak. Besides, if the "real" area is a copy of the original, the NPC will be redundant, along with their quests, conversations, items they carry; 2) make a "real" version of the area, empty, then, when in the first area the plug is pulled, transport everyone from there to corresponding points in the "real" version. Can this be done? Or possibly I could script NPC in the "real" area to destroy themselves if their counterparts in the jumbled area have died.

Suggestions?