Help with modmerger

New to modding especially Balders Gate ee. I cant get Mod merger to install This is the screen that shows when i try. and wont progress any further just stays at this point in the process. Problem.png.a5377d12aab951050dd869b3738fdd0a.png

Any help appreciated thanks, and happy to answer more questions if needed.

Just now, Bonzai338 said:

Is this compatible with Sword Coast Stratagems?

Nearly all weidu mods are compatible with each others. There are some that are conseptually not, but the reason is that they lead to different conclusions rather than bad problems.

So very much yes.

Just now, Jarno Mikkola said:

Nearly all weidu mods are compatible with each others. There are some that are conseptually not, but the reason is that they lead to different conclusions rather than bad problems.

So very much yes.

Thank you for the help. ill test it out now. 

K, by the way, as you have installed the game from steam, you'll probably want to set the game to not be updated automatically as any update to the files will revert the mods changes and so you cannot install the mod again without extodinary measures and that's generally bad.

And for the above mod to work, you should verify the game data as you have no idea where and in what condition the modmerger left the files to.

see now its telling me I don't have enough disk space whenever I try to quicksave. and how do i know if sword coast stratagems is working? 

as well I checked integrity and it added 2 files. and i set it to update when I open it, as I don't know how to stop it from updating.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:16 PM, Bonzai338 said:

i set it to update when I open it, as I don't know how to stop it from updating.

On 5/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jarno Mikkola said:

Here, it's under "Disabling automatic updates".

There is no option that allows you to prevent updates completely.

Your best bet is to create a copy of the entire game directory and mod and play on the copied directory.  The original game directory will be automatically updated when new patches are released but the copy should remain unchanged from what I remember.

Developers sometimes make older or upcoming patches available to opt in to via Steam's beta system.  You can access this via right-clicking the game, selecting Properties, then going to the Betas tab.  However, this relies on the developers to actually make your desired patch version available and it could still interfere with installed mods, so I would recommend ignoring that and relying on copying the directory when you want the game to be left as it is.

P.S. Thank you for noticing and moving your topic to the appropriate forum!

8 hours ago, Mike1072 said:

There is no option that allows you to prevent updates completely.

What ? Did you actually go look at the link ? Just like you didn't start the ToB with Baldur.exe, but the BGMain.exe ... as the baldur one is the installer GUI, while the game is the BGMain.exe ... which you would need to learn anyways to start the game in the directory.

The point being that you don't need to start Steam to start the game. This is something everyone should know. But apparently doesn't ... 👿

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
8 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

The point being that you don't need to start Steam to start the game. This is something everyone should know. But apparently doesn't ... 👿

I swore that it would open Steam when you ran the .exe.  Maybe that has been changed.

My bad, then.

In that case, changing the Steam setting so that it only updates when launching the game should be sufficient so long as you always start up Baldur.exe in the game folder instead of launching it from within Steam.

9 hours ago, Mike1072 said:

I swore that it would open Steam when you ran the .exe.  Maybe that has been changed.

Then how would moving the said game with the said .exe not start the same Steam application it did when it was still in place ? While it would "work" in the moved/copied folder, without Steam, somehow. I cannot imagine.

Well, that would depend on how exactly Steam's DRM works.  I was thinking that it was simply checking to ensure you owned the title before continuing with starting up.  If instead it's killing the process you started in the copied directory and launching the game in the original directory, then you wouldn't be able to get around updates that way.

But we've established that the EE games aren't doing this, so let's not worry about it any more.

What we do need to worry is Steam applying updates to a game that we've modded.  It will do this:

• whenever it feels like it, if the default setting to keep the game up to date automatically hasn't been changed
  • whenever you launch the game from within Steam

You can prevent the first situation by changing the setting, but not the second, so copying the folder is still the safest option to completely eliminate the possibility of accidentally applying an update that breaks your saved games.  If you're okay with a little more danger, you could change the setting and then just avoid ever running the game from Steam and that would work fine as well.