Party with crazy or mismatched NPC's

Guest Luuk

Hi all,

This excellent mod is one of the reasons I'm actually enjoying playing BG1 again. I want to play through the whole game now (BG1 - ToB) with a more or less crazed wild mage (CN alignment, so not evillish crazy, in fact I'll probably lean towards good, because that fits the story a bit better).

I'm looking for NPC's that are fun to have together. Just plain crazy NPC's like Tiax, but also NPC's that really don't mix well and have funny dialogue (such as Mazzy with Korgan). I don't really care if I run the risk of them getting a fight, that's just colateral damage :).

I am looking for advise on both BG1 and BG2 and also on user made mods (though preferably of high (roleplaying) quality). The reason I'm asking it here is because you guys probably know the best which NPC's have fun dialogue in BG1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Luuk,

The funny/crazy NPCs? One of the requirements to enter BG1NPC team was to write humorous dialogue.

I think that yes, Tiax, is a good choice. For crazy humour Xzar , Montaron, Quayle and Faldorn are imo prime candidates. Edwin is a feast of snapping fun, and Eldoth has some slizzy humour. Yeslick is very funny as well, a grandpa on the fieldtrip-sort-of-humour. Branwen is written with a heavy doze of rougher humour. Xan have certain black humour to him, if you like that sort. "Fluffy" sort of humour can be found in Alora and Imoen. Situational humor shows in Jaheira and Khalid. One thing though - craziest characters sound the funniest when they clash with 'normal' ones :)

I wish you luck with your run, and you can always come back to us and tell us who in your opinion is the funniest/craziest NPC of the bunch.

These two threads can help you a bit:

BG1NPC reviews (more or less summarizes how much conten each NPC have currently):

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=2601

BG1NPC Character sketches (it is outdated, but it gives you an approximate idea on who banters the most and with whom):

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=1327

Hi Luuk,

The funny/crazy NPCs? One of the requirements to enter BG1NPC team was to write humorous dialogue.

I think that yes, Tiax, is a good choice. For crazy humour Xzar , Montaron, Quayle and Faldorn are imo prime candidates. Edwin is a feast of snapping fun, and Eldoth has some slizzy humour. Yeslick is very funny as well, a grandpa on the fieldtrip-sort-of-humour. Branwen is written with a heavy doze of rougher humour. Xan have certain black humour to him, if you like that sort. "Fluffy" sort of humour can be found in Alora and Imoen. Situational humor shows in Jaheira and Khalid. One thing though - craziest characters sound the funniest when they clash with 'normal' ones :)

I wish you luck with your run, and you can always come back to us and tell us who in your opinion is the funniest/craziest NPC of the bunch.

These two threads can help you a bit:

BG1NPC reviews (more or less summarizes how much conten each NPC have currently):

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=2601

BG1NPC Character sketches (it is outdated, but it gives you an approximate idea on who banters the most and with whom):

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=1327

Hi Domi,

Thank you for your help. The two topics provide me with a lot of details to choose NPC's.

I already had one run with a LN cleric of Helm. So I can already give you a review on some NPC's. From the top of my head I met the following ones:

- Imoen: I just can't stand her dialogue. This is the only NPC with added dialogue which I don't like. I do like it that she still is a bit childish, which fits the story. I think her dialogue sounds a lot like the dialogue written in MMPORGs. The emote *smiles from under his mustache* from Elminster was enough to make me dump her already. I would rate Imoen a 4/10.

- Xzar: I love his dialogue. He had some pretty fun dialogue with Imoen too, which made me think a little better on Imoen. He is crazy, yet his dialogue is quite smart. I only had him with me in the beginning before I dumped him, but he made a very good impression. I would rate Xzar a 8/10.

- Montaron: I travelled with him, but I don't remember him well. He didn't make an impression on me, that's for sure. I would rate Montaron a 6.5/10.

- Jadeira: I think she's very well designed. Her character is very complicated and I can only imagine how hard it is to write dialogue for her. What I don't like is that she hints too much about the protagonist his background when talking with Imoen for instance. I didn't take her with me for long though, but the start was pretty good. I would rate Jadeira a 7/10.

- Khalid: Basically the same comment as on Jadeira. I like his character a little better. He needs more dialogue, even though it's though. I would rate Khalid a 6.5/10.

- Mur'Neth: Only had him with me for a very short time. I think this is a very fun concept for a character, but extremely hard to write. I think the author made a good attempt, but didn't met my desire for quality. This is not due to the skills of the author however, but because of the extremly difficult concept of the character. I would ratte Mur'Neth a 6/10.

- Xan: He's brilliant. I really enjoy the way he's written. I don't have much to say about him except that I really like his dialogue. I would rate Xan a 8/10.

- Branwen: Her dialogue and character are pretty good. The character doesn't appeal to me much however. She did fit in quite well with my party, so I had her for a while until I switched her with Yeslick. I would rate Branwen a 7.5/10.

- Coran: He's pretty fun. His quest was rather annoying however. It could have been a fun quest, but the result of it was in my experience only tedious. My overal impression would be moderate to good. I would rate Coran a 7/10.

- Faldorn: Tried her for a very short time. If you look up 'crazy' in the dictionary, I bet you see a picture of Faldorn. I didn't really enjoy her way of being crazy however. The dialogue fits her character, but I don't enjoy her character. I would rate Faldorn a 6/10.

- Garrick: I really enjoyed Garrick. He has a lot of interjections with other NPC's. He has a good dose of enjoyable dialogue. I can't remember anything I didn't enjoy about him. He isn't a character that leaves his own story behind however. Though perhaps thats the best thing about him, because there are I think few NPC's who interject the way like Garrick does. I would rate Garrick a 7.5/10.

- Kivan: He's written very good. His dialogue is very nice and fits his character. I really enjoyed reading about him and his interjections are good too. His dialogue is very 'heavy' and only fits the more lawful and good aligned groups in my opinion. I would rate Kivan a 8/10.

- Yeslick: I can't remember much about Yeslick. I don't think he added a lot to the party. A dwarf around can only be good, but Yeslick didn't really give me the feeling of having a typical dwarf around. I think it's due to him being a little too good for my taste. I would rate Yeslick a 6.5/10.

That's all the NPC's i've played with so far.

The NPC's I would like to try now are:

- Tiax

- Quayle

- Edwin

- Eldoth (together with Skie I guess)

- Indy

- Finch

Those can only join later in the game so I think I'll start of with atleast:

- Xzar

- Montaron

- Edwin

- Finch

Now I need advise on who to add to cause some heated situations. I was thinking about the following:

- Shar-Teel, I think she might have some fun dialogue with Edwin and/or Xzar and I guess myself being a male as well

- Ajantis, I mean he's a paladin. He shouldn't be able to last longer than a day with such a party :)

- Minsc, I don't even know if he'll even join me with Edwin, but if he does I bet it'll be fun

I think I'll still need some expressive good aligned characters who mix in a fun way with the above ones.

Let me know what you think about my ideas so far.

Xzar and Montaron are definetly worth having along: there are some interesing expanded encounters for them in the game, the biggest being Xzar's antiques in the Sewers of BG and Undercellar.

I think the only way to have both Minsc and Edwin in the party is to add Edwin first; if you have Edwin+Dynaheir and Minsc, you will get an expanded encounter with Edwin's superiors in the Spider Wood :)

Definetly try Ajantis - he has loads of interjections, and if you RP a bit on the evil side, he would try to change your descisions.

Eldoth and Skie - I like Eldoth a lot and Skie has plenty of interjections in the City of Baldur's Gate.

As for Shar-Teel - I'd recommend trying her out for a short while, especially if you have a matching character for her relationship sequence. I think she will be sort of harder/ruder than what you seem to be looking for (judging from your comments). On the other hand if you like what you see dialogue/character wise, try her again with Phase III with the full relationship.

One NPC, that you might want to give a try is Viconia - she has the same type of interjections as Garrick/Quayle and lots of personality :) Safana is on the quieter side, but her dialogues are quite entertaining.

Hmm... if Yeslick aren't dwarf enough fer ye, try Kagain, though he might be worth waiting for Phase III and his quest. :)

Cheers and have fun.

Archived