Porting NWN animations - a work in progress

So uh, yeah, this is a thing I've learned to do using Blender. I'm no expert on 3D modelling so this took me the better half of Saturday to figure out through trial and error. Because of this I don't know if I could provide a step-by-step guide on what to do, and I've only done a couple of animations for the NWN iron golem so far and I don't know if I can even learn how to handle the animation cycles when I get to it, but fingers crossed I guess.

This is a bit of a stretch since I don't know if anyone with this kind of experience is still around, but the only thing I desperately want but haven't a clue on how to do is attach a weapon to the 3D model. In any case figured getting this to work was something I felt good enough about to share.

automaton2.gif.3baaae61a2c79366034a2e1c5478463d.gif

This looks great! Adding new animations from NWN would be absolutely fantastic and sharing a step-by-step guide would be awesome.

I tried to convert a couple of animations using blender but switched back to 3DS Max because of some issues I could not solve. So I have a couple of questions:

- How did you import the mdl file?

- How is your camera setup?

- Did you manage to create a proper working shadow? This is the greatest obstacle using blender in my opinion.

Edited by Acifer

I downloaded the NeverBlender plugin which had instructions on importing - the mdl needs to be exported with NWNExplorer in ASCII form and then I removed the .txt from the c_goliron.mdl.txt file.

I swear I had shadows working at a certain point but then I did something that got rid of them and can't bring them back. I'm still trying to figure it out.

As for camera, I have it set up like this but I'm still fiddling with the settings:

Spoiler

bfba432a87d7596b856ec5d6b16a17e4.png

Edited by Artemius I

I'm going to share my .blend file to let other people have access to the (probably inefficient) setup I'm using. Just in case anyone else is crazy enough to try to attempt this with me. I assume you could insert any .mdl file you want for the model you're looking for and it should work with a bit of tweaking of the camera.

Edit: added an updated version

iron golem.blend

Edited by Artemius I

Good work! And thanks for sharing your .blend file, it's especially useful because of the decent shadow catching node you created.

May I ask how you managed to attach weapons? I couldn't find the corresponding mdl files with NWNExplorer.

Edited by Acifer

Weapons were a pain, and yes, finding the files was the first headache, but there's a trick - if you check the baseitems.2da file the ItemClass section shows the prefixes of each item's model name, which you can then find in data\models_02.bif and extract. Weapons have three different segments so each needs to be extracted, as well as the w_metal_tex.tga for textures.

In Blender, I imported the models (each section individually, importing them at once seems to do nothing) and added a 'Child Of' object constraint linking it to the golem's right hand. Then I simply align it to the right hand on golem's model as accurately as I can.