Changing the character picture in the inventory

Hello,

I know my questions are often about Gavin but this time it's not about him.

I just would like to know if we can just change the character picture in the inventory for an "appareance" (example below is for Thief Female Human).

Or add an inventory character image to an "appearance" that does not yet have one

Sans-titre.png

Edited by Machiavélique

Both the main-screen animation and the inventory paper doll come from the "animation" field. Any save editor should be able to work with that, selecting from among the animations in the game.

Animations are defined in the .ini files, which are named with the hexadecimal representation of their index. For example, "MAGE_MALE_ELF" is #25089, or 6201 in hexadecimal. That means it goes with 6201.ini.

Of course, that's not the whole picture. The .ini file will tell you things like what sort of armor is visible on the character, but the actual sprites are elsewhere, referenced by a code you'll find in the .ini. For my male elf mage example, that's CEMW. That leads you to the .bam files. There are 96 .bam files starting with CEMW, all of which go into that animation.

The inventory paper doll is more static; it doesn't need animations for things like attacking and casting. As such, the inventory sprites are a small minority of the .bams - in this example, four of them. One for each level of robe complexity.

Adding a paper doll to an appearance that doesn't have one would be a matter of adding ****#INV.bam files, where #### is the code and # is a number. Exactly what is needed there ... I'm not an expert. This post was me going through the process of figuring out which files connect to this element of the game, and what some of the stuff in them does. I don't expect to edit any animations myself, beyond selecting from what's already there.