(wip) modder diary

I really admire the dedication of most modders, even going so far as to modify and document the exe. Back in my day <creaky GenXer noises> all we had were mostly no-cd cracks. 

If it weren't nearly 3 am, I'd shout for joy.  Just "fixed" something that has bugged me for the 45 seconds it occupies (approximately 0.0002% of total gameplay), namely the absurdly long travel time going from the Cloakwood mines back to anywhere else not-Cloakwood, so I added an exit on the east edge that connects to the ankheg farmland.  I haven't added a new entrance point, so I just used the existing one. I am well pleased.

COPY_EXISTING worldmap.wmp override
	LPF ADD_WORLDMAP_LINKS
		INT_VAR distance_scale = 2 default_entry = 8 encounter_probability = 0
		STR_VAR from_area = ~ar1800~ from_node = ~east~ to_area = ~ar1400~ entry = ~cdsouthexit~
	END
BUT_ONLY

All blessings to weidu workers and documenters.

Reasons to mod:

1. You want to improve/change the mechanics.

2. You want to add content.

3. You like coding.

4. You like appreciation for your work.

5. You want others to enjoy the game further than without.

I think any one of those is sufficient, but it really leads to better quality the more reasons you have.  There's probably more I haven't thought of.

I hate feeling like ideas repel discussion. 

Invisibility in bg is utterly fucked. It doesn't convey immateriality;  it doesn't convey silence. So why does it ever convey 100% untargetability? And instead of addressing the problem at the source, everyone addresses it afterwards. 

On 3/24/2022 at 11:52 PM, Awachi said:

I hate feeling like ideas repel discussion. 

Invisibility in bg is utterly fucked. It doesn't convey immateriality;  it doesn't convey silence. So why does it ever convey 100% untargetability? And instead of addressing the problem at the source, everyone addresses it afterwards. 

How would you address it at the source? (EDIT - to clarify, this was bot a rhetorical question, or trying to be snarky. I actually lime to hear ideas about this stuff.)

You could apply "weak invisibility" instead of typical invisibility... but enemies see that as basically visible and would run toward the person and try to attack them. That's a bit problematic even if you prevented attacks from hitting. The point of invisibility is that it hides you... and the way to make that happen in this engine is to apply untargetability.

I have changed invisibility to apple selective untargetability - to make invsibility detection/true sight something applied to the viewer, rather than just dispelling nearby invisibility. And Grammarsalad made a spell that applies nonmagical hiding, per the thief ability. And I have made several abilities that apply "weak invisibility" without the normal form of invisibility. But at the end of the day this is a 2D game where a lot is abstracted away, and hiding and invisibility were just implemented as untargetability.

Edited by subtledoctor

Just as a DM and world-builder, it seems asinine that if invisibility were that much of a problem, everyone would carry glitter bombs or dye molotovs. It just yanks me right out of the game. 

19 minutes ago, Awachi said:

Just as a DM and world-builder, it seems asinine that if invisibility were that much of a problem, everyone would carry glitter bombs or dye molotovs. It just yanks me right out of the game. 

Well there is Glitterdust and (with SR) Faerie Fire. Which are basically glitter bombs that low-level casters can use if they can’t properly dispel or see through invisibility. 

8 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

And Grammarsalad made a spell that applies nonmagical hiding, per the thief ability.

Sorry for OT, but in which mod is this? Does this mean I could modify this spell and turn it into an innate ability so I can make for example a fighter kit with a “hide” button that does not involve EEex?

23 minutes ago, guyudennis said:

Sorry for OT, but in which mod is this? Does this mean I could modify this spell and turn it into an innate ability so I can make for example a fighter kit with a “hide” button that does not involve EEex?

It’s in Faiths & Powers & b_Spells. But it wouldn’t work that way. You actually have to cast it as a spell or innate ability. It sets your Hide in Shadows score to 75% (or whatever) and then has an invisible creature follow you around for a while applying the Hide script action. 

To make a fighter kit that can hide, you would be best off making a ranger kit with no spells and a small XP boost.

invisibility = 90% translucency, +8 bonus to Breath saves, +8 bonus to missile AC, +4 bonus to melee AC.  Now ethereality is something else entirely.

I don't see why untargetability ever had to exist.

5 minutes ago, Awachi said:

invisibility = 90% translucency, +8 bonus to Breath saves, +8 bonus to missile AC, +4 bonus to melee AC.  Now ethereality is something else entirely.

I don't see why untargetability ever had to exist.

Totally doable. But,

1. This means that while invisibility will give you some protection from melee attacks, anyone who can cast spells can utterly savage you just as they could when you are visible.
  2. The game's dumb AI enemies won't know they have a disadvantage attacking you, and will act as if you are totally visible - following you around, etc.

Now, I can think of ways to improve it:

• Apply something like IWD's Evasion, except version that works against all spells and magic abilities. So even though caster can target you, there is a chance they will "miss."
  • Apply a repeating effect with some chance to turn you actually invisible (by the unmodded game's definition of actual invisibility). If only just for second or two. That could simulate enemies losing track of where you are, before hearing or smelling you and then finding you again.

I'm reducing options to a more... console-ized setup, so in isolation some of these problems won't exist.  Mages will be amply defended inherently against magic in the same way a physical combatant is against others of his ilk.  Hopefully I can learn what's needed, and it will include modifying AI to suit.

You have a lot of good ideas.