Blink Dogs and Phase Spiders (mod)

Here I pick up my custom versions of two monsters from long ago. I have mentioned them before in another thread (in "Animate Dead Now") and attached an archive with files for override for those who might want to try them out, but this time there is a tp2 for a proper installation. The phase spider turns out to have been bugged with a novel glitch, too, a fresh surprise from the game engine. In the end I changed the spider altogether, freeing it from dependency on an Enhanced Edition in the process, and updated the dog. I am going to remove the files in the other place.

The two monsters will use original tactics. The dogs will appear in greater numbers in an encounter (in the only encounter where they do appear), as every one has a chance of "gating" in another. Depending on the breaks, there may be a whole horde of them. They gang up on party members, trying to surround and bite the same character from every side, and sometimes "backstab" as low-level thieves. Notwithstanding their high morale they are smart, with solid Intelligence and Wisdom scores, and after enough dogs have been killed the rest will blink out of the area. They have also received their due Neutral Good alignment from the Monstrous Manual.

Phase spiders begin on the Ethereal Plane - switched out of the game world. This is not done through invisibility, so they cannot be found by usual means. The spiders will materialize and pounce when the party walks near. They will warp using my recently-made Blink effect only to distant party members and will focus on the weakest and softest (worst Armor Class) characters. When a spider scores a hit, it will always phase out and a short time later reappear at an unpredictable point nearby, usually to tear into the nearest unfortunate. They can pop up anywhere, and I recommend going back-to-back into a closed formation when fighting them.

Download

Edited by temnix