having trouble reinstalling mods for BG2 EE--they worked fine before :-(

i was playing BG2 EE (GOG galaxy)with several mods installed the other day and i'm not sure exactly what i did or how but i seriously messed up my game! i uninstalled the game completely and reinstalled. when i went to reinstall the mods i hit a brick wall. i was able to install the fix pack without any issue but  after that, i got an error message asking me to "please back a backup of SETUP-YOSHIMOSREMORSE.DEBUG" i got a similar message for pretty much every other mod i tried to reinstall. i also tried doing the other stuff first and still no luck. would someone be able to help me? this has seriously got me annoyed! i have played this game through several times with various mods and i can't figure out what i am doing wrong.

What happened to make you reinstall the game?

Grasping at straws here, but do you have the latest Baldur's Gate patch and the most current version of your mods?

The only thing I can recommend at this point is reinstalling the game and mods one more time. There's no reason it shouldn't work... I don't think BG2 Fixpack conflicts with Yoshimo's Remorse. Want to try it and let me know what happens?

Edited by InThePineways
On 5/30/2022 at 2:41 PM, Gidgemuffin said:

i got a similar message for pretty much every other mod i tried to reinstall.

Wild guess. you tried to reinstall the mods from mod folders that still had the old back install info. If you want to start with a clean game, you need to delete all old mod content and unpack all mod packages anew as well.

On 5/31/2022 at 2:37 PM, jastey said:

Wild guess. you tried to reinstall the mods from mod folders that still had the old back install info. If you want to start with a clean game, you need to delete all old mod content and unpack all mod packages anew as well.

i just tried this and i am still getting the error message to "please make a backup or SETUP-CORTHALAROMANTIQUE.DEBUG" here is a screen grab--i can't figure out what i am doing wrong. i have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. i get this error message when i attempt to install other mods as well. i am sure that this is my own fault. all of these mods were set up previously and worked fine. if anyone has any suggestions i would be eternally grateful. i am not super tech savvy and i would need very specific instructions and a lot of hand holding. 😞

image.thumb.png.72e33d0e93b0124fdb2f3e6c80e67e24.png

Another wild guess. Windows deleted the iconv.exe in the mod folder(s) because it thinks it's a virus? It's needed for the text transformation the installer tells it can't do. I'm not sure what "Unable to convert" error message means exactly.

The mod folders I see there are newly downloaded, were never installed, and therefore have no utf8-tagged tra-files in them?

One suggestion is to copy the game folder to a place that's outside of C:Programs, and mod (and play) the copy. It saves a lot of hassle with Windows trying to protect exe execution in the Program folder.