[Mod In Progress] The Gorgon’s Eye

Hi everyone,

I’ve just made post in the Beamdog forums detailing a bit of a new mod I’m working on. I wanted to make a post here as well since you guys have been really helpful in the discord (I’m Bagel) with getting me past some modding roadblocks.

The mod is pretty small mostly because there’s so much I haven’t figured out how to do yet. It’s going to add a thieves guild into Beregost that will offer thief related quests. At the end of the main quest line I’d like to have the player take over the guild if they a thief similar to the bg2 thief stronghold. I’m trying to just take it one step at a time though and work on things that I know how to do and then move onto new things.

So far I can do things like appending dialog, creating creatures/items and adding simple scripts for attacking and spawning in neutral creatures.

Things I still need to learn are editing areas to add new transitions that lead into new areas. And I’m sure there will be more stuff as I get further along.

Thanks for all the help so far and I hope you guys like my mod idea!

I like the idea! I usually play good, though... Maybe my paladin can storm the guild on the lookout for a murderer. 😇

If you have any questions with regard to the technical side of mod creation, you are at the right place.

The question was already raised at BeamDog's, how and where are you planning on inserting the thieves' Guild? Beregost is a tough town with regard to unused houses. Some are already used for mods - some even double... It would be cool if you'd find a place that is compatible with existing mods.

And, on a side note - I'll be impressed if you have a working alpha (or higher) in a month's time. Looking foreward to it!

6 hours ago, jastey said:

I like the idea! I usually play good, though... Maybe my paladin can storm the guild on the lookout for a murderer. 😇

If you have any questions with regard to the technical side of mod creation, you are at the right place.

The question was already raised at BeamDog's, how and where are you planning on inserting the thieves' Guild? Beregost is a tough town with regard to unused houses. Some are already used for mods - some even double... It would be cool if you'd find a place that is compatible with existing mods.

And, on a side note - I'll be impressed if you have a working alpha (or higher) in a month's time. Looking foreward to it!

Thanks for the support jastey! 

My plan is to have a passageway somewhere outside in Beregost. Maybe near the row of white trees behind Feldposts or next to the spider house. There’s a few other spots that look cool too. I haven’t got to this yet though because I’m working on all the other stuff and I don’t know how to do that yet. 😅 

I’ve been at it for a few weeks now working on it everyday so it’s moving along pretty nicely. It’s writing the dialog that is taking up like 90% of my time. It has given me so much more respect for other modders dialog, it is not easy at all.

I would like to consider adding a more good path but the way I have it setup is you can’t progress the main story line(which isn’t really evil) until you work your way through some of the petty thieving/extortion quests.

Edited by TotalMilk90
2 hours ago, TotalMilk90 said:

I would like to consider adding a more good path but the way I have it setup is you can’t progress the main story line(which isn’t really evil) until you work your way through some of the petty thieving/extortion quests.

That makes a lot of sense. It's a thieves' guild after all.

It has given me so much more respect for other modders dialog, it is not easy at all.

Yes, it's days of work for seconds ingame. And then you'll come to scripting your first cutscene. (I'm not evil. I'm not.)

My plan is to have a passageway somewhere outside in Beregost.

Ah, that's smart.

You mentioned adding travel triggers to areas in the other thread. That is pretty easy. More difficult is adding graphics if there is none yet, and adding doors is doable but rather sophisticated (I always worked around that if possible).

1 hour ago, jastey said:

You mentioned adding travel triggers to areas in the other thread. That is pretty easy. More difficult is adding graphics if there is none yet, and adding doors is doable but rather sophisticated (I always worked around that if possible).

I thought about adding a door leading to a new room inside the guildhall after a certain quest that involves expanding, but I’m not ready to look into that any time soon. Right now the only part I’m sure about is adding an entryway like a staircase in beregost area that leads to its own area but one that’s already an existing layout.