How to add custom sound files (.wav) to IW:EE?

I've made some custom sound files (.wav) using VLC and inserted these into the "/Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition/lang/en_US/sounds/" directory. The NearInfinity tool can read these but it doesn't play the audio, not in the tool or the game.

Do these files need to be converted and/or added using Weidu?

Edited by pete_smith1229

According to multiple reports, selection sounds are broken on 2.6 without using the EE Soundset Tool, but that's a step beyond your problem. I've never used VLC for audio conversion, but I can imagine that the end WAV result is a combination the game cannot handle (WAV is somewhat of a container, where the stream can contain literally everything from the lossless PCM to fringe earlier advanced encodings like IMA ADPCM or MS ADPCM or even MP3). For the record, the EEs use OGG Vorbis audio, just with the extension rewritten to WAV from OGG. I'd use that format.

Edited by Graion Dilach
19 hours ago, Graion Dilach said:

According to multiple reports, selection sounds are broken on 2.6 without using the EE Soundset Tool, but that's a step beyond your problem. I've never used VLC for audio conversion, but I can imagine that the end WAV result is a combination the game cannot handle (WAV is somewhat of a container, where the stream can contain literally everything from the lossless PCM to fringe earlier advanced encodings like IMA ADPCM or MS ADPCM or even MP3). For the record, the EEs use OGG Vorbis audio, just with the extension rewritten to WAV from OGG. I'd use that format.

Apologies, I should have been more specific. I am wanting to add new sound effects. I just realised the "/sounds/" directory only contains voice sets and the "/data/SNDFX.bif" contains the sound effects files. I'll use your advice in using OGG Vorbis audio. Is there a recommended method in inserting new sounds effects?