AutoDescription

Those off-by one errors are on the item side, not the auto-description side. You see, probabilities in the game use a 0-99 random variable, but many resources (even in the base game) are written as if it's 1-100. This error is all over the place, from spell learning chances (1% more than the listed number on your sheet) to the iron crisis breaking weapons (2% chance instead of 1%) and weapons like the Stupefier (11% chance of save or stun rather than 10%).

If you see this discrepancy in your own mod's stuff, there's no shame in getting caught by it. But it is something to fix.

@jmerry Thanks for the explanation.

@Alywena I don't know if you noticed, but I've attached the modified description.tra to my first/original posting in this topic.

While I still like the idea of this mod very much, and its handling of Skills & Abilities caused me to look into the translation for a bit, the item descriptions, when using the appropriate components of Skills & Abilities, can become very unwieldy. Long story short, I don't like to use both together.

Perhaps you could implement an optional component or ini tweak to address this? So that not every 2H weapon has a line for every individual strength bonus, and the same regarding every heavy armor and the appropriate proficiency.

I'm also wondering if or how the bits and pieces behind AutoDescription could be used for debugging and/or (semi-)automated testing...

It is always possible to create a particular grouping, to reduce the number of lines generated even further, the difficulty is to find the way in which this line will be used.
If we take the previous example

- If the wearer's strength is greater than or equal to 18; Damage: +1 (non-cumulative)
- If the wearer's strength is greater than or equal to 19; Damage: +2 (non-cumulative)
- If the wearer's strength is greater than or equal to 20; Damage: +1 (non-cumulative)
- If the wearer's strength is greater than or equal to 22; Damage: +1 (non-cumulative)
- If the wearer's strength is greater than or equal to 24; Damage: +1 (non-cumulative)
- If the wearer's strength is greater than or equal to 25; Damage: +1 (non-cumulative)

With a bit of work, I could, for example, reduce it as follows

Damage: +1 when strength reaches 18, 20, 22, 24 and 25
Damage: +2 when strength reaches 19

It's not perfect, but you always have to bear in mind that if an effect is present, it has to be transcribed in some way by Autodescription.

Another alternative would be to manage special cases when particular mods are installed.
The problem is that this kind of system would be heavily dependent on the installed version of the mod, and would require maintenance in parallel with the evolution of the mods. But I don't want to do that.

ps: I hadn't seen your description.tra file! I'll download it and incorporate your changes, thank you very much!

The "(non-cumulative)" part of your example above confused me (well, still does) when I was trying to understand how that mod from Skills & Abilities works, because the individual effects do stack; else the component wouldn't make much sense anyway. I guess that "(non-cumulative)" in context of OpCodes can be somewhat counter-intuitive for the layman. I'd expect a static attribution in a non-cumulative way would be rather explicit and simple, like 18 -> +1; 19 -> +3; 20 -> +4 and so on.

1 hour ago, Alywena said:

But I don't want to do that.

This I can relate, somehow... 😁

1 hour ago, Alywena said:

ps: I hadn't seen your description.tra file! I'll download it and incorporate your changes, thank you very much!

You're welcome.

(A shame that I was ignorant of DeepL until today yesterday; that might have given better hints compared to Google Translate. And the UI is much better.)

Hello @Lurker

A new version has been released, which corrects a number of problems, improves the accuracy of descriptions and includes your translation.
Among all the changes, I've finally developed a feature specifically for 'Skills and Abilities'.

Before (sorry, the example is in French)

- Si la force du porteur est supérieure ou égale à 18 ; Dégùts : +1 (non cumulatif)
- Si la force du porteur est supérieure ou égale à 19 ; Dégùts : +2 (non cumulatif)
- Si la force du porteur est supérieure ou égale à 20 ; Dégùts : +1 (non cumulatif)
- Si la force du porteur est supérieure ou égale à 22 ; Dégùts : +1 (non cumulatif)
- Si la force du porteur est supérieure ou égale à 24 ; Dégùts : +1 (non cumulatif)
- Si la force du porteur est supérieure ou égale à 25 ; Dégùts : +1 (non cumulatif)

After

Le bonus aux dégùts liés à la force est augmenté de 50% (non cumulatif)

I hope you enjoy :)

Thank you. Although, I've to admit that I've stopped to apply your mod for my active games for the time being. As an example for a kind of a worst case scenario, look at what you get for "The Purifier" when you use AutoDescription together with Forgotten Armament 🙂

But I've a dedicated browser tab with a copy of your super helpful generated  html diffs (feature request: please provide this also for MISC items and consumables :angel:), that I use for reference (...for cheating...) when running the game and as a base to manually fix descriptions (or items) with Near Infinity for items that I care for in a particular game.

And out of curiosity: What's that effect  - and what does it do - which translates to "Smurfette"...? ("Schlumpfine" đŸ§žâ€â™€ïž in German)

On 10/25/2023 at 11:01 PM, Lurker said:

Thank you. Although, I've to admit that I've stopped to apply your mod for my active games for the time being. As an example for a kind of a worst case scenario, look at what you get for "The Purifier" when you use AutoDescription together with Forgotten Armament 🙂

But I've a dedicated browser tab with a copy of your super helpful generated  html diffs (feature request: please provide this also for MISC items and consumables :angel:), that I use for reference (...for cheating...) when running the game and as a base to manually fix descriptions (or items) with Near Infinity for items that I care for in a particular game.

And out of curiosity: What's that effect  - and what does it do - which translates to "Smurfette"...? ("Schlumpfine" đŸ§žâ€â™€ïž in German)

Thanks for your feedback!

In fact, the description contained a lot of lines that were of no interest to the player.
I've updated it again, and now the description should be much more readable.
Here's an example of the Purifier (in French) on a mega-installation.

PARAMÈTRES :  

Capacités d'équipement : 
- Multiplicateur d'attaque sournoise : -2
- RĂ©sistance Ă  la magie : +20 %
- Restaure les niveaux drainés du porteur (non cumulatif)
- Immunise le porteur au drain de niveaux (non cumulatif)

Capacités de charge : 
- Manipuler Ă  deux mains (usage unique)

Enchantement : +4
TAC0 : +4
DĂ©gĂąts : 1d10 +4 (Tranchant)
Facteur de vitesse : 3
Type de compĂ©tence : ÉpĂ©e bĂątarde
Type : Arme Ă  1 main

Nécessite : 
- 11 en Force

Poids : 6

The notion of protection against the level drain within a radius of 15 feet is missing, but that's 'normal', AutoDescription doesn't yet support projectiles to identify targets in items.
This will come in a future update.

The "Smurfette" is used as a placeholder when a translation does not exist, while generating the associated effect line.

In my current setup, other mods seem to have a weird interaction with this particular item from Forgotten Armament, which leads to a ridiculous amount of effects (see here).

Now imagine how well that translates to AutoDescription...

44 minutes ago, Alywena said:

The notion of protection against the level drain within a radius of 15 feet is missing, but that's 'normal', AutoDescription doesn't yet support projectiles to identify targets in items.

Good to know, thanks for sharing, so I shall not blindly rely on AutoDescription.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:24 PM, Lurker said:

Good to know, thanks for sharing, so I shall not blindly rely on AutoDescription.

The new version (https://github.com/Selphira/AutoDescription/releases/tag/0.9.32) support target within a radius.

This new version contains many improvements and corrections, especially in the description of spells.
Descriptions are therefore more precise and a little shorter (except for some items where the effect targets an area of effect).

I've also updated the English version (much text remains to be translated) and supported distances in feet instead of meters.

I hope you enjoy the changes!

Edited by Alywena