How to set a local variable on a creature from an area script?

Guest Furlong

25 minutes ago, Guest Furlong said:

You thought (and now edited out) that CLUAConsole was a mistake and C had to be used

This is another of your jumping to conclusions: I already said why I first posted only "C:" instead of "CLUAConsole:". With wrong syntax I was referring to your post above:

18 hours ago, Guest Furlong said:

but the local var ain't getting set (CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("Imoen","LOCALS") with the mouse cursor over her says var doesn't exist and dialogue still occurs after resting. )

because "Imoen" is not the variable's name, so checking for "GetGlobal("Imoen","LOCALS")" doesn't makes sense and of course wouldn't have given you a valid reply if this was how you checked for the "rested" variable.

Makes sense?

Guest Looooong fur.

Ah, so you were being passive-aggressive before my previous reply? How courteous must one be to not hurt your feelings lol, if so? I'm including you in all my thankies from top to bottom of the thread, what more do you need to not feel disrespected and not get some kind of lowkey misanthropy triggered? A new doormat? A self-degrading rooster fight?

Either way: 1/ I can't edit my comments for typos when I see them, 2/ the typo "Imoen" instead of "Rested" was not made elsewhere, hinting at its typo status, 3/ just near it is written that Imoen's post-rest dialogue is still occurring, so 4/ reading that typo should have no logical impact from a helper's point of view assuming proper reading comprehension.

Meanwhile, I read a sentence about wrong syntax. A variable name is not syntax, so even though you didn't mean it, you were actually saying I was calling the function with incorrect grammar. Then immediately, the text actually uses a different syntax with the C shorthand*, as if to correct my use of CLUAConsole. The likelihood that you were unaware of me using the original edition was also very low: Two out of three comments say it explicitly, and creating a custom script to skip the Irenicus intro thing is entirely unneeded in EE.

So you missed those 3 things and then used incorrect wording twice -- syntax and C. With such a context, doesn't it take a measure of self-delusion to then go around pointing fingers at people for "jumping to conclusions"? On my end, I saw a gorilla cross a basketball game and then missed that a player made 4 steps with the ball in hand. That player is my typo, it's her, Imoen, which I didn't realize was the one thing you were trying to correct instead of OE syntax.

Now that's THREE paragraphs written on something that doesn't even impact the helper's task, which I think was the main point: Are we wasting our time because you think you answered me but I ignored you only to listen to magically certified people, meaning I thought you too incompetent to help? That'd be a bit thin-skinned and/or expecting the worst from people, but whatever, the world is littered with such perception.

So to answer: No I don't think anything of the sort, I just wasn't moved forwards by what you said beyond having me test EE. Once that (turned-out-too-lazy) test introduced a reasonable suspicion that it might be an OE-EE difference (you're confusing certainty with Bayesian probability when you talk about conclusions), coupled with plentiful prior data showing me the extent of differences between EE and OE, what was (rationally) needed to move me forwards once more was to either point out JoinParty (mentioned in my second post but too lightly to make it realistic for a helper to pick it up) or to tell me that you got it to work just fine in OE. That's what Bubb kindly did. Could have been someone else, I don't think it requires EEex or GemRB developer level of Infinity Engine knowledge lol.

I am grateful for quick and timely responses, whether they hit the nail or not. Meeting people who like to try solving other people's issues beats dead places and silence by quite a margin.

If that is STILL not enough to remove whatever it is that triggered you, I can probably say it's not my problem. I neither want to verbally burn you to the ground, negatively affect this place with stupid rooster fights, nor gift you a new doormat. Keep that in mind if you intend to throw another bird in the pit. 1/ The CLUAConsole bit is irrelevant to solving this thread, 2/ misunderstandings are the most normal of things, whether due to listening/reading comprehension, expression, random blunders or even issues thinking straight (straight as in "thinking is a skill, empowered by mental tools and hampered by lack of focus or effort"), 3/ it is of no consequence to me that Bubb's message was written by you or Bubb. I don't need magical certification, only a string of appropriately chosen words to slant the state of my Bayesian probabilities and move me forwards. 4/ I don't judge people over 4 internet comments, and I certainly don't fancy ignoring people that came in with a helpful mind. 5/ Fuck the habit of (internally or verbally) questionning the other party before questioning oneself.

* Side note: C and CluaConsole are actually just handles to a single Lua table, it's not syntax either. But people are much more likely to believe C is necessary for grammatical reasons like the colon, quotes, parentheses, commas and token order, rather than it being a variable name. On the other hand no modder would think so of creature locals.