No Mod kit descriptions and no hotkeys working in cloned game 2

Loremaster

Referring to the archived thread No Mod kit descriptions and no hotkeys working in cloned game - Bug Reports - The Gibberlings Three (gibberlings3.net) I continue the discussion here.

So, is there a solution? Is there a way for MiT to handle kits properly? I’m testing several mods on a MiT install but MiT doesn’t show mod kit descriptions and HLAs. On the original install they work fine.

I use Windows 10, Classic BG2 with ToB and patches, MultInstalTool-5.1.10.

Technically yes.

When you clone the classic game, you only need to; 
1) firsty of all make sure you have the entire game installed to the game drive. It takes about 2.5 GBs without any mods inside. Do not install mods YET ! But start the game via the BGMain.exe to make sure that it actually works. Start the campaign, and exit the game after Imoen frees you. (this makes it sure that it actually works). If you have the CD version of the game, you need to make a full install of the SoA and then install the ToB, and then install the ToB patch, that is available here for example.
2) Copy that entire game folder to a place you want to transfer it in, like a USB drive or other things. And now you have a clean backup.
3) Then copy that to a place you want to use it in, and start the game ... there. Via the bgmain.exe that you copied it with. If the game starts ok, then all should be good and you can then install mods into it.
If the game doesn't start, then you need to open the baldur.ini -file that came with the folder, you open it with Notepad for example, and edit the [ALIAS] -lines, so that they point into the new file locations. Yes, all of them...
4) There's no need to use the Multi-Install Tool. Haahaa.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Thanks

Did something similar a while back. Worked fine until I uninstalled one of the installations. I then got some error message and couldn't start any installation at all. I see you have an extra step I. I didn't do your step 2, perhaps it was that. Anyhow, thanks.

Edited by Loremaster
41 minutes ago, Loremaster said:

Thanks

Did something similar a while back. Worked fine until I uninstalled one of the installations. I then got some error message and couldn't start any installation at all. I see you have an extra step I. I didn't do your step 2, perhaps it was that. Anyhow, thanks.

The mistake you made was starting with the game baldur.exe ... as if you try to start the game with that, it will start the games via a Graphical User Interface that reads the computers registery and if it finds nothing -like with uninstall-, it will not give you other options than "install".
While starting the game via the BGMain.exe starts the game at that specific location.No matter if or not the game is actually registered as installed to any location.
Aka, there's a very specific intent between those two files.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola