[BGEE/SoD] More Issues and thoughts Pt 2

OK, just starting to knuckle down to this, starting with the January 8 list.

On 1/8/2024 at 11:04 PM, RoyalProtector said:

Dire wolf doesn't have the usual paperdoll (is that the word? sorry, not a native speaker) in inventory. Just mentioning this since the usual druid form does. It's now just an empty space. (Present in BG2EE too)

I can reproduce this but for both technical and artistic reasons I don't think I can solve it in the near future.

• Slow poison has an outdated description, since the slow poison implementation was deprecated
  • This I don't think is a problem with your mod per se, but could use improvement: produce fire description is unclear as to how much it lasts when it hits and enemy (burns every round but for how many rounds?). Perhaps your version of the spells could ship with a better description.

Unmodded-game issues, out of scope for now.

• Tiny detail, maybe the string that says "any spellcaster (besides sorcerers and shamans) must memorize..." in the Spellbooks should probably include Favored Souls?
  • - Carrion Crawler Ichor and Nightmare Paste poisons actually seem to be the same as Blue Whinnis. They make the target unconscious, feedback in the log says something like "Dorn: Poison: Blue Whinnis: Flaming Fist Mercenary" and that's it.
  • Poison Weapon claims that you can "supplement" the damage listed there, but it seems like they only replace. Description should be fixed, or the powers tweaked?

All fixed locally, will be in beta 5.

All the dragon varieties of Dragon Disciple except Red Dragon have the 7th level and 13th level lines duplicated in the description

Should be fixed in beta 4.

More of a comment than an issue, which is probably unavoidable and not a big deal, but I suppose awareness should be there: I believe that your proficiency system changes coupled with the strategy of starting at level 1 to not miss out makes SoD's mechanism to determine initial gear for your character unreliable or otherwise not too useful. For example, if you create in SoD a character with more proficiency points in Two-Handed Swords, they'll be given such a weapon. So that functionality is probably broken. Not a big deal for me because I always play each game in order through imports.

I think in the short run people will have to put up with this, but thanks for flagging it.

Found a strange error when leveling up Avenger saying "character no longer can use quick items, items will be dropped", but nothing seemed to happen. I think it happened after I chose the feats. (Tested in SoD, leveling up avenger up to 500K). Seems to be harmless though.

I've seen this myself and I'm not sure what's going on; but yes, harmless I think, so deprioritized for now.

Detail probably not from this mod: improved invisibility by avenger says "the wizard is no longer invisible". Maybe outside the scope of your mod, but anyway.

Unmodded-game bug.

Winter wolf icy breath from Avenger shapeshifting only works on enemies (neutral targets are not affected) and it has no special effect when cast, and it is not a cone of cold as described either, it only affects one target.

Fixed locally (off-by-one error in projectile assignment), will be in beta 5.

Water Genasi race string does not show in the Record screen (empty line, SoD), same for deep gnomes (problem might exist in others)

Fixed locally (it's specific to SoD and possibly to EET, caused by it using a localized race table. Similar to the problem we had in beta 2 of classes not displaying properly). Will be in beta 5.

OK, moving (finally!) onto the second list of issues:

On 1/9/2024 at 9:10 AM, RoyalProtector said:

Shadowdancers should not have Trap Master feat available, as they cannot set traps

Fixed locally, will be in beta 7.

Viconia starts off with 97 MR, instead of the expected 27. Becomes immune to magic, of course, at level 10.

Fixed as of beta 5.

Viconia has two versions of Cause Serious Wounds, they have different descriptions each (maybe some issue with darkcloak of shar...)

Fixed locally, will be in beta 7 (and SCS 35.11 and the next update of IWDificatin - this is an IWDSpells bug).

NPCs that join you at the start of the campaign don't have set the weapon proficiencies at 1 for everything, like when you create your own character. Is this a bug or limitation?

Should now be addressed, as of beta 6: they get sensible proficiency allocations.

And those NPCs also don't seem to benefit at all from stat-based bonuses (saving throws at least) -- and actually not even your own character does for some reason (with 18 DEX, 18 CON, 18 WIS, as a bard -- no bonuses, works in BGEE).

I had thought this was fixed as of beta 5, but it turns out there was a bug in that code. Fixed locally (and tested); will be in beta 7.

Have you thought of including tweaks for weapon styles in your weap. proficiency tweaks? Never liked them much myself. The worst parts are probably sword and shield (generally not very useful) and a second pip in single weapon style. SubtleDoctor had a mod that tweaked the styles considerably in a more interesting way, such as adding a shield bash chance to the style, though I'm unsure that sort of modification would work with yours anyway, and I'll always prefer a tweak integrated in your mod if possible.

I hadn't really; I'll consider it, though given my backlog don't hold your breath.

NPC customization component I assume is required so you can give them feats in the previous levels before they join, if any, right? The readme should probably warn about this (apologies if I missed it though).

I've added this to the documentation.

Going on to the first January 10th list:

On 1/10/2024 at 12:13 PM, RoyalProtector said:

NPC customization component. Can only level up NPCs one by one instead of directling jumping to the required level. Limitation?

Limitation of the previous levelling system, removed in the new one.

With NPC customization, characters are getting unexpectedly extra kit abilities. Example, leveling up Dorn will give him 2 Aura of Despair and Absorb Health where only 1 was expected. Should probably account for level 1 abilities. It seems unreliable somehow though, because in a different test, Dorn got 2 Absorb Health, but only one Aura of Despair as expected. Strange

I'll leave this one for now as the substantial changes to the levelling system may have fixed it en passant.

Beast master description specifies pseudodragon and fairy dragon as possible familiars since in vanilla they can only be good aligned. This should probably account for more loose alignment restrictions component.

Fixed locally, will be in beta 7.

Second January 10 list:

On 1/10/2024 at 1:22 PM, RoyalProtector said:

2 dragon breath abilities in Dragon Disciples when leveling them up. Not sure if it's bug or the description is not saying how many uses you get (says once per day)

Intentional, the description is supposed to be updated but it was broken. Fixed locally, will be in beta 8.

When using Stonefist and the saving throw is failed, it shows the message "You don't remember Aldeth's brother, most interesting"

Fixed locally, will be in beta 8. (The string is different in BGEE from BG2EE/IWDEE and I missed it.)

Black Dragon breath doesn't do anything. No effect or damage

Both it and Green Dragon Breath were getting the wrong projectile. Fixed locally, will be in beta 8.

Invalid quick slot items error happening with Green Dragon Disciple too when leveling up

I'm continuing to set this one aside for the moment.

I haven't the faintest clue how this happened, but while testing in SoD, leveling up Dorn gave him 33 proficiency points (and he did not get the base 1 proficiency point in everything either). EDIT: It seems to happen if a character receives any amount of XP while they are at level 0 with 0 XP. I tried with Khalid, he had 2 XP for some reason and got 34 proficiency points.

That should have been fixed by the proficiency system debugs in betas 7-8.

NPCs can't die until you level them up to the end goal level, I assume by design?

Intentional feature of the former levelling system, but not needed in the new one.

As a suggestion,  would you consider changing the projectile for Green Dragon Disciples breath attack, seems a bit underwhelming visually and functionally (small cone). How about something like spitting a Cloudkill type effect that last for 2 rounds, doing heavy damage?
If I remember correctly, that's what green dragons do, they spit poisonous gas. Other options that occurred to me were recoloring other projectiles like Cone of Cold's or the Red Dragon's...

See what you think now the projectile is correctly set. (I'm reluctant to do a 2-round effect because it doesn't track actual green dragons, either in PnP or the Watcher's Keep one.

And speaking about poison, a feat to increase Poison Damage much like Spirit of Flame could be interesting... If anything so it can compete with the others damage-wise (even if damage options are limited).

Added the Concentrated Venom feat as of beta 8 (though I'm a bit worried it's underpowered.)

On 2/10/2024 at 10:52 PM, DavidW said:

Intentional

And very welcome! Limited special abilities is one of my biggest pet peeves, unless the ability is seriously powerful.

On 2/10/2024 at 10:52 PM, DavidW said:

See what you think now the projectile is correctly set.

Will do. The download link seems to be broken at the moment, so I'll wait until that's fixed.

Edited by RoyalProtector

OK, since you asked: the green dragon projectile is the same as before as far I can tell. There is also a mismatch between being hit with damage, and the animation of the spell, i.e. characters suffer the damage before the poison bubbles get close enough to them. The "cone" of damage is very small too -- quite unforgiving.

Also the description of the spell is always about a "gout of flame", in case I didn't report this before.

Edited by RoyalProtector
On 1/10/2024 at 7:22 PM, RoyalProtector said:

1 - Chromatic Orb seems to do no damage on save success at level 11 [Fixed as of Beta 4]

I just encountered this bug on BGEE with Beta 7 with the tweaked Chromatic Orb.

Looking at SPWI18 with Near Infinity, all 6 levels of the spell are affected wih no damage if the save is successful.

Edited by Trouveur80

Finally getting to the last January 10 list:

On 1/10/2024 at 3:59 PM, RoyalProtector said:

Stronheart Halfling description states twice (in different ways) that they have one extra proficiency point

Fixed in beta 8. I was forgetting that the extra point is recorded automatically, so doesn't have to be manually added to the description text.

Ghostwise Halfling line about rage should start capitalized

Fixed in beta 8.

-Half-orcs do not get HP bonuses.

Fixed in beta 8.

Force of personality doesn't seem to work. I started off with a bounty hunter ghostwise halfling with 10 WIS and 18 CHA and had a +2 penalty to Spells, both before and after acquiring the feat (and resting, for good measure)

I'm fairly sure this is a consequence of ability modifiers in general not working in SoD; should be fixed as of beta 7.

• The description of WISDOM refers to the monk AC bonuses by inappropriately referring to "you" instead of "them". Seemed odd to me since the rest is impersonal. (It's also mentioned twice in the description -- I feel like the first instance should probably be deleted)
  • - The description of constitution mentions how it affects hit points twice, becoming redundant.

Fixed in beta 8.

I was also still able to replicate the issue of asking to select difficulty before venturing forth by clicking on biography. Not yet sure how to replicate reliably. I just made a Wild Elf Barbarian, nothing special.

Can't replicate, but I'm several versions ahead and that bit of code has been messed with several times.

The description of Barbarian indicates that they can get 5 pips on weapons (I thought it was odd, but maybe I'm wrong), but in the game, they can only get 2 at most, as per vanilla (seems odd anyway since Paladins and Blackguards can get 3 in my configuration).

Wow, that was a rabbit hole. Fixed in beta 8, I think, after about a week's worth of modding time and a rebuild of about three systems!

EDIT: Shouldn't charisma include Blackguards in the description?

Fixed in beta 8.

EDIT: I created a Blade with 3 pips in two-weapon style, and picked ambidexterity. I held two basic longswords, but the THAC0 was 4 and 5, and not the 4 and 4 I was expecting.

Fixed in beta 8.