[IWDEE] Cutscene-to-Dialog transitions should not allow execution of unrelated script actions

The combo of EndCutSceneMode() and StartDialogNoSet() or Dialog() is commonly used in many cutscenes in IWDEE. Examples are EEPEQTLK.BCS or EEPOQCT1.BCS.

According to Bubb there is a 2 AI-tick gap between execution of these two actions. This gap allows unrelated script actions to be executed in rare cases which may interfere with the scripted events in unintended ways.

I could reproduce it with the Cornugons and Iron Golems in the final battle at Jarred's Stone where sometimes either a Cornugon or an Iron Golem moved to the party while the series of cutscenes was still being executed. Since there are several transitions between cutscenes and dialogs it is potentially possible that the party is also attacked by the creatures (or worse, has to suffer from the Iron Golem's cloud ability) while still being locked in cutscene mode.

If there is no particular reason for the EndCutSceneMode() action to be present, I'd suggest removing it in all these cases.

Is this gab also in BG(II)(EE)?Thinking about mod cutscenes that might have put both in, too.

I can't check IWDEE right now. Is this also a thing if the order is first [Start]Dialog and then EndCutSceneMode()?

1 hour ago, jastey said:

Is this gab also in BG(II)(EE)?Thinking about mod cutscenes that might have put both in, too.

I haven't heard about it from the other EE games yet. But they all use the same engine, so it could affect these games, too. In any case, I don't see a need for an EndCutSceneMode() if it's followed by a Dialog() call. (Unless the dialog is not guaranteed to trigger. In that case it would make sense to add EndCutSceneMode() *after* the Dialog() call.)

1 hour ago, jastey said:

I can't check IWDEE right now. Is this also a thing if the order is first [Start]Dialog and then EndCutSceneMode()?

That should be fine. The dialog should have ended cutscene mode already, so the final EndCutSceneMode() call does nothing except waste two AI ticks.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, argent77 said:
5 hours ago, jastey said:

I haven't heard about it from the other EE games yet.

I was able to trigger this issue in BG2EE too. It looks like this combo should be avoided in all games.

Edited by argent77