Regarding light maps

Iciclia

Ever since my depature from NWN I have never been so amazed by all the many intricacies and stuff IE has to offer. I dare say that the Aurora Engine is good, but not as good as BioWares early stuff. At least from a CC modeler's perspective :)

Now if only I could understand light maps in BG2. I read the DLTCEP tutorial and it helped shed some light on the subject, but still not enough to illuminate it so I could see it clearly.

My question is about why light doesn't shine on the ground properly. It seems to only "shade" the characters in the game, not the textures or objects.

Heres an example of what I was trying to do: make diffuse color yellowish brown to kind of emit a faint light from the big lamp in the IETME tutorial. However, it would not emit the light at all, though the characters when walking past that point did get lit.

So to sum this all up, I'm thinking the light maps don't affect objects and textures such as terrain at all. Just the characters? Or is there another way?

So to sum this all up, I'm thinking the light maps don't affect objects and textures such as terrain at all. Just the characters?

Yep.

Or is there another way?

Render the entire map with the light shading you want, i.e. no, not really.

Dang, that kind of sucks. Was wanting to use the lighting and shading for some awesome 3d stuff I had in mind for BG2 dealing with just terrain and displacement maps. Oh well.

It isn't the end of the world really, just a disappointment.

Thanks anyway

So to sum this all up, I'm thinking the light maps don't affect objects and textures such as terrain at all. Just the characters?

Yep.

Or is there another way?

Render the entire map with the light shading you want, i.e. no, not really.

Archived