Near Infinity unable to read some files

Salk

Hello, people!

I am no modder but I am enjoying Near Infinity to check Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 out. After plain installation of these two games (with only the official patch on)I get for Baldur's Gate 1 (+TotSC) this reading error when NI scans through.

Error reading AR1010.WED 111

In case of Baldur's Gate 2 (+ToB), such similar errors go up to 19 instead.

Error Reading XR2400.ARE data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR2600.ARE data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading IPLOT01K.ITM null

Error Reading IPLOT04G.ITM null

Error Reading IPLOT04H.ITM null

Error Reading IPLOT04I.ITM null

Error Reading XR0509.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR1010.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR1401.WED data/progtes2.bif not found

Error Reading XR1700.WED data/progtes2.bif not found

Error Reading XR1801.WED data/progtes2.bif not found

Error Reading XR2012.WED data/progtes2.bif not found

Error Reading XR2400.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR2600.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR5402.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR5403.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR5404.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR5405.WED data/progtest.bif not found

Error Reading XR5506.WED data/progtest.bif not found

We are speaking of reading errors that are not introduced by any Mod but that just come with the original game coding.

Can someone tell me what these errors mean ?

What happens if I delete such files from the respective directories ?

I have installed then some component from Dudlefixes and one of them (SCRL5T.ITM) can't be read by Near Infinity reporting again a reading error (which becomes then two).

If Near Infinity can not read a file, does it mean that the game itself would crash upon trying to read that file or...?

I thank each of you who will bother coming with answers/advices!

Thanks! :p

Backup your KEY file for each game, then go into NI's Tools menu and select Keyfile Cleanup. This will remove references to non-existant BIFs, among other things. That'll get rid of most of the errors you found.

The other thing you can do is to go to the Options menu and make sure Ignore Read Errors is checked. That'll keep NI from halting if it can't read a file.

Other things to consider are:

- Both games have hundreds/thousands of unused files. These files tend to contain old references to a game state that existed some time before the game was shipped, so the references may or may not be valid anymore. (Most of the unused files are of the types ARE, BCS, CRE, DLG, ITM and STO.)

- The file system for both games has minor errors. The AR1010 files in BG1 don't actually exist. If you try to remove them with NI or DLTCEP, you'll corrupt the KEY file. The Keyfile Cleanup tool won't fix all of them. You may also encounter trouble trying to read FRIEND.ITM, because it is really FRIEND.STO but with the wrong extension.

The Dudleyville error you mention is likely a corrupt file, or something exists that NI doesn't like (it's rather strict). If the game doesn't choke on the file, it should be okay. Otherwise you should delete the file from the override folder. Alternately you could read up on what Dudleyville did to the file and try to make the changes yourself.

Thanks a lot, Smoketest.

I was asking because I planned to go through TuTu with Dudley's fixes on and check compatibility up. The file SCRL5T.ITM is actually created by Dudley himself (as it's reported by his well made Complete List of Fixes).

Since NI can't read it, how else can I try and open that file then and eventually edit it ? However, even if I could do that, I'd still have no competence about how it actually works... :p

Archived