My first kit mod (BG2), need help

Maurolava

So, as the title says, it is the first time I try to make a new kit mod. I have read CamDawg's guide, but I’m somewhat lost :down:

So the first question is that this will be a fighter kit, and I wanted to have immunity to fear and be able to cast fear once per day per level as an innate ability, so how do I do that?

For now I will leave it at that and come back if I have more question (which I’ll definitely have)

Thanks’ in advance for the help

Maurolava

You would have to look up the spell effects for immunity to fear and casting fear and assign those in your CLAB file. The immunity would be done using AP_whatever spell number at level 1, and the ability to cast fear would also be assigned by the CLAB every level using GA_whatever THAT spell number is.

I’m using ConTEXT to write the codes like the proficiencies and whether or not this kit that I’m creating can be dual, that I know how to write, but how to I write (type) it so I can assign the CLAB file?

Hey, Maurolava. One of the lines in your .tp2 will actually assign the CLAB for you. The CLAB is copied out of your "Mymod" folder, so you'll want to create a CLAB file before you assign the CLAB. Open up one of the CLABs in NI or DLTCEP to get a feel for how to write the CLAB. It's actually pretty easy once you know what you're supposed to be doing.

For example, if you want to see how to add immunity to fear you could just open up the CLAB of the Cavalier kit, and see what spell theyuse. You can then look at how they handle the Paladin's daily uses of detect evil to see how that works. The only difference is that you'd be referencing a custom spell instead of the detect evil innate ability.

SPCL 221 has all of the cavalier's resistances in one place. If you scroll through the file with NI you'll see the file provides immunity to fear and poison, as well as elemental damage resistances. Obviously, you would need to make a custom spell if all you want is the immunity to fear, but this is really easy to do. Just take this spell, export it somewhere else and rename it, and then remove the poison and elemental immunities from it. What you have left is the fear immunity. Reference that custom spell in your CLAB and make sure you copy the custom spell over to override in your tp2.

Yes, to your first question. No, to the second.

The problem, however, with making shields unuseable is that you have to do some rather complicated voodoo to make it happen and your mod won't be compatible with a lot of other mods. You see, each of the Bioware kits has it's own useability flag. You could alter, say, the useability values for the berserker to prohibit shields, append the berserker to use the standard fighter useability values, and then assign the modified berserker table to your new kit......but this is a pain in the ass and can introduce compatibility problems with other mods.

You could also take a thief kit's (the assasin, for example) useability tables, open it up to allow usage of heavy armor and fighter potions, but not shields, and assign that table to your fighter. The kit will still be able to use it's own useability flag since you aren't opening up or closing off any items useable by trueclass thieves (unless you decide to ban bucklers, too) and your fighter will still be able to use any items you want him to be able to use. He won't be able to use thief only items, either, since he is a fighter, so there really aren't any negative side affects other than compatibility issues.

Ok, so that out of the question, what I will do is just not be able to spend any point on sword and shield style, I guess as a deterrent.

Now, to my second question, is there any type of increment that I could do, call it better THAC0, + (#) to hit or + (#) damage, additional attacks but only when using two weapon style?

Nope, sorry.

EDIT: Well.....I guess you might be able to append the two weapon fighting 2da and enable a fourth and fifth pip for two weapon fighting that would add damage and AC bonuses, and then add the ability to take five pips in two weapon fighting to your kit. (Other classes would still be restricted to 3.) Technically speaking, that might be possible. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived