Beregost ticking me off

berelinde

*SPOILER WARNING*

I have been confronted with the Beregost bug more than once in a minor way: it could be fixed by using the BeregostCrashFixer Java program or by going back to the save before i entered Beregost. But these where crashes which occured usually immediately upon entering or leaving Beregost and for which I could prepare by using a named-save before getting in and a named-save after getting out.

But something strange seems to be the matter relating Beregost to Minsc and the gnoll stronghold:

The following sequence occured in two of my BG Tutu campaigns:

1. i have taken Minsc in my party at the beginning of chapter 2,

2. but before doing his quest, i visit Beregost (for xp reasons, or trade, whatever)

3. i go to the gnoll stronghold after being in Beregost with Minsc >ALL savegames up to this point allow me to go back to Beregost.

4. i rescue Dynaheir and not being interessed in Minsc anymore, i let them both leave (which automatically happens if you don't have a free party-slot for Dynaheir and didn't use the BG2-Tweak to allow pairs to separate).

5. not having Minsc in my party anymore, upon leaving the stronghold ALL savegames from that point give a 'boing' errornoise and a black screen when i try to enter Beregost (which to my frustration i only found out many hours of gaming later).

>And when i try to repair the saves before entering Beregost, the BeregostCrashFixer tells me 'Processing FW3300.ARE... no errors found.'

The first time this happened to a campaign of mine, i tried continuing with a save a lot earlier, before entering Beregost for the second time, but then the crashes started reappearing an hour of gaming later and then i decided to give up on the campaign. I got three other campaigns running that didn't crash after having done the gnoll stronghold quest.

I read the crash has to do with a corrupt spell memorization slot in Garrick, or maybe a random person in Beregost, but these irreparable crashes i get seem to have got a lot to do with Minsc and the stronghold, if the game is played in the sequence i described above.

Archived