Having some troubles..

Elurin

Hi!

Before i get into my problem i'd like to say how cool of an NPC Amber is :suspect:

I remember mentioning on a different forum about wanting a romance option for a multiplayer PC who wasn't the Bhaalspawn.. only to have Meira tell me that one was on the way!

So far (despite the issues i'm having) i already like where the mod is going.. Lots of conversation options and extra quests to do.

I really like how you have to work on Amber carefully - she's easily put off with the wrong responses.

I've been having some troubles with her getting stuck on a certain line though..

I've gotten past the point where she's been abducted by Y'mmrt the mage's slavers and she's been warming up to me nicely, but now the only thing she wants to say to me is: "Elurin?.. nevermind, i seem to be bothering you too much anyway." (or close to that)

I used the cheat command AdvanceRealTime to speed things up and see if she would get past this but it's pretty much all she'll tell me now.. Once though, a "NO Valid replies or links" message came up instead.

What's really making me scratch my head is that i'd been past this point with a different install of the game.. Previously, i had a bunch of other npc's installed with Amber. She got stuck on a line telling me something along the lines of: "being happy to travel with me"- she was stuck in a loop where she would initiate dialog over and over endlessly telling me this unless i moved my character out of range of her.

Currently, i have only two modifications besides Amber: a custom kit, and the experience mod (which allows you to reduce the amount of XP given out)

My order of install has been: SoA - ToB - ToB patch26498 - Custom Kit - Exp mod - and then Amber last.

Could my custom kit or the exp mod be causing any troubles? I didn't think my kit was messing things up because looking at the 2da's everything seemed to be fine.

Should i do a complete re-install again?

Elurin

Can you give me the value of M#AmberTalk (Locals) variable? And/Or tell me which was the last 'real' conversation you had with? Has she said anything after the kidnapping quest ended and she re-joined?

If I knew the values of M#AmberInitiateFlirt (Locals) and M#AmberFlirt (Locals), it might help me to figure out what's going on.

Can you still click-talk her?

Since you were interested in the multiplayer romance; which PC Amber is romancing in your current game, the protagonist or Player2?

~<GABBER>?~

=

~Hmmm... Never mind, actually. I'm beginning to feel like I'm bothering you way too often.~

That's a 'light' Amber initiated flirt, but it shouldn't repeat itself. In fact it's one that always comes last of the light flirts, even though the ones before it are randomized.

Once though, a "NO Valid replies or links" message came up instead.

Can you describe this in more detail? You mean that she initiated a conversation, but said nothing and there was only "NO Valid replies or links" message showing on the text box?

I don't think that a kit or experience mod would affect Amber in any way. :suspect: Amber has her own kit for her armour restrictions and PCs experience is checked when Amber is first spawned, but neither have anything to do with the talks she initiates.

Hi Meira :suspect:

I'll try to give you some more details..

Can you give me the value of M#AmberTalk (Locals) variable? And/Or tell me which was the last 'real' conversation you had with? Has she said anything after the kidnapping quest ended and she re-joined?

If I knew the values of M#AmberInitiateFlirt (Locals) and M#AmberFlirt (Locals), it might help me to figure out what's going on.

I'm not really sure how to find this info.. can you tell me how?

I can't really remember at this point what the last "real" conversation with her was.. (lousy memory!)

I can still click and talk with Amber.

Since you were interested in the multiplayer romance; which PC Amber is romancing in your current game, the protagonist or Player2?

Amber is romancing the Player2 PC.

Once though, a "NO Valid replies or links" message came up instead.

Can you describe this in more detail? You mean that she initiated a conversation, but said nothing and there was only "NO Valid replies or links" message showing on the text box?

Yeah, she initiated the dialog when i got the "no valid replies or links"

Thanks for the very speedy response, Meira! :down:

Hi Meira :suspect:

I'll try to give you some more details..

I'm not really sure how to find this info.. can you tell me how?

I can't really remember at this point what the last "real" conversation with her was.. (lousy memory!)

I can still click and talk with Amber.

You can send a copy of a savegame with this problem to <amber@mbnet.fi> and I'll dig the variables up myself.

M#AmberTalk is 52, which means that you should try resting outside at night. :suspect:

I still didn't find out what going on with the repeating flirt, but if the next talk triggers when your rest, the problem should resolve itself because new set of 'medium' Amber initiated flirts start firing from that talk on.

M#AmberTalk is 52, which means that you should try resting outside at night. :)

I still didn't find out what going on with the repeating flirt, but if the next talk triggers when your rest, the problem should resolve itself because new set of 'medium' Amber initiated flirts start firing from that talk on.

Yep.. resting outside at Night did the trick. :)

Thanks for the that! I feel kinda stupid because i remember that scene from the last time through. :)

An Update...

Well, i've run into another problem.

I think i mentioned before that i'd had an issue with Amber where she would endlessly repeat a line whenever my Player2 character was near her - saying something along the lines of 'being happy to be traveling with me' - which made me decide to uninstall all the other mods that were in my game and also to reinstall BGII itself.

I was hoping that my problem with Amber was simply a conflict with something else i had installed.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.. She's doing it again with the same line as before.

I had something similar happen with Jaheira right before the issue with Amber also.. She kept repeating her line about ' not tolerating any further delays ' and would continue to spout that whenever Mazzy was near her.. (i assume she locked onto Mazzy, simply because that was the nearest character to her)

When i reloaded, Jaheira didn't do it again. However in Amber's case reloading doesn't get rid of the problem.. She just keeps on saying her line endlessly.

I'm wondering if there's something wierd going on with the initial weidu install of Amber.. I'm wanting to say that i caught a few error reports during installation, but the lines go by so fast that i couldn't tell for sure... I don't know enough about Weidu to look up the report afterwards. :)

That line that Amber keeps repeating is: "I almost can't believe how much i enjoy your company, Elurin. I hope it doesn't bother you."

Can I have a copy of setup-amber.debug file and weidu.log file? They can both be found in your main bg2 folder. After re-install, did you start a new game or did you continue from an old save? Ie. where are you with Amber's romance? What was the last real lovetalk? The line she's repeating is the last of her medium flirts.

Doh!

There's a fatal typo in the P2's Amber initiated flirt's trigger:

//Amber flirts with PC2
IF
	RealGlobalTimerExpired("M#AmberFlirtTimer","Locals")
	Global("AmberInitiateFlirt","Locals",0)
	!Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)

When it shoild be:

//Amber flirts with PC2
IF
	RealGlobalTimerExpired("M#AmberFlirtTimer","Locals")
	Global("M#AmberInitiateFlirt","Locals",0)
	!Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)

You wouldn't notice this befor the very last of the flirts because that's the only one that doesn't set the M#AmberFlirtTimer-timer.

I'll try to get a new version of Amber out next week, there's no way that I can make it this weekend. In the meantime if you wish you can fix this locally.

1. Uninstall any mods installed after Amber and then Amber.

2. Go to the BG2/amber/scripts and open m#amber.baf in any text editor.

3. Either search for Global("AmberInitiateFlirt","Locals",0) or if your text editor has line numbers on go to the line 2965.

4. Replace Global("AmberInitiateFlirt","Locals",0) with Global("M#AmberInitiateFlirt","Locals",0) and save.

5. Re-install Amber (and other mods originally installed after her).

When you load you game Amber should repeat that line once and then stop.

Fixed, cheers!

Just got done with making the required changes and tested it and it fixed things for me too!

btw, i have to say it gives me a new appreciation for how much work it must be to create an NPC like Amber.. All those lines in that one file! I had a hard time just finding the one you specified. I can't imagine how much time it took to write all that stuff!

Fixed, cheers!

Just got done with making the required changes and tested it and it fixed things for me too!

btw, i have to say it gives me a new appreciation for how much work it must be to create an NPC like Amber.. All those lines in that one file! I had a hard time just finding the one you specified. I can't imagine how much time it took to write all that stuff!

Good to hear that it helped. And thank you for helping us find that bug.

And yes, there is a whole lot of text involved in an NPC mod; that was just the script file; the dialog file is about 11 times that amount of text... :)

[EDIT: This was actually written by Darios; I just didn't notice I was logged in as Meira.]

Archived