Dynaheir's Quest and Drizzt

Guest TTL

Well, I've come across a possible bug (or just a problem with my install). It's not related to Ajantis, but since I started this thread I'll just post it here.

In the Dynaheir's journal quest, after talking to Drizzt nothing happens. I've read the spoilers in the readme and it seems the problem is with the script that's supposed to spawn the "good gnolls". I checked with Shadowkeeper, and no matter what I say to Drizzt the x#dynajournal variable is set to 3 and no gnolls spawn (nor does the variable get set to 4). Manually changing the variable does absolutely nothing, nor does Drizzt appear again. I have no idea if the romance variable has any role is this, mine is still 1.

As I said, this could be a problem with my install (I uninstalled and deleted BG1NPCv11, but I didn't reinstall Tutu), but perhaps you should take a look at the scripts involved.

-TTL

OK, berelinde ran into something similar while playtesting; let's check some stuff. First, you talked to Drizzt and didn't insult him, right? If you made it through the sequence correctly, Drizzt "leaves" (goes to the center of the map and deactivates himself until conditions are met). It sounds like this has happened in your game correctly, but I want to make sure.

If Drizzt has left, and no gnolls spawn, it may be that there are some enemies still on site. I made the spawn wait until there were no hostile dudes hanging around, so players wouldn't accidentally clobber plot creatures, but this is probably not a good idea. I will work out another way. Walk toward the upper left side of the map, and check around for the places enemies spawn. Clobber the wandering monsters, and see if they trigger then.

Meanwhile, I will go back over this set of scripts and see about doing some tweaking!

To clarify a bit: yes, the gnolls have been killed and Drizzt's normal dialogue plays. Drizzt then talks to me about the journal page, I receive the page (or at least, a scroll that the description says is unreadable and improtant - I assume that's the journal page) and he leaves after agreeing to meet me in a day. I also tried telling him I'll search alone, but the end result is the same. I've searched the entire map, and I also tried just standing still but no-one spawns. There are two spots in the upper left side (northwest) that spawn regular hostile gnolls, are the plot creatures supposed to appear in one of those spots?

Well, here is the code:

IF
Global("X#DQGoodGnolls","FW4200",0)
Global("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",3)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	CreateCreature("X#DGNLG1",[1965.1684],0)
	CreateCreature("X#DGNLG2",[1821.1600],0)
	CreateCreature("X#DGNLG3",[1957.1610],0)
	CreateCreature("X#DGNLG4",[1861.1670],0)
	SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",4)
	SetGlobal("X#DQGoodGnolls","FW4200",1)
	ActionOverride("X#DGNLG1",MoveToObject(Player1))
	ActionOverride("X#DGNLG2",MoveToObject(Player1))
	ActionOverride("X#DGNLG3",MoveToObject(Player1))
	ActionOverride("X#DGNLG4",MoveToObject(Player1))
	ActionOverride("X#DGNLG1",StartDialogueNoSet(Player1))
	Continue()
END

I guess I already scrapped out all of the conditions about enemies, etc., so something else must be going on here. The Gnolls actually spawn just above the Drizzt fighting spot and to the left, right below the lake, but then they make a beeline to the party. Perhaps this is better set up as a cutscene; I ddon't like moving actions this way, but I guess if you move faster than the gnolls and search in a different direction, perhaps they get lost? Try (on a separately saved game, so we aren't messing with your regular progress) resetting the area script trigger by cluaconsoling

SetGlobal("X#DynaJournal","GLOBAL",3)

to make sure you are back to that condition, and then

SetGlobal("X#DQGoodGnolls","FW4200",0)

and hanging around the upper left of Drizzt's original position. Worst comes to worst, you end up with two sets of very confused Gnolls!

I have not found out why there would be a problem yet, but I am hitting back posts hard to see if i have missed a step somewhere. I'll check in again in a bit...

umm, I just though - perhaps this is too close to a spawn point, and if there are creatres there already they don't spawn? Try checking out/clobbering the Gnolls in that middle-upper left side below the lake.

Tried the above several times: the globals get set, since I receive the right values with GetGlobal, but no actual creatures spawn. There is a possibly distracting spawn spot a bit below and to the left of the lake, but I've tried killing everything that spawns there and retyping the SetGlobals, but it does absolutely nothing at all (not to mention that CLUAConsole is a real pain to use with a Scandinavian keyboard, hence my normal reliance on Shadowkeeper). I know it's not really a long-term solution, but will I get anywhere if I create the actual creatures in the console? I think I'll try that now, and then it's time to give up for tonight..

-TTL

...and to reply to my own question: Yes, CreateCreature("X#DGNLG1") and setting the globals to 4 and 1 respectively create the leader of the good gnolls and allows me to have the conversation with him. Of course this doesn't explain the spawning problem, but at least I can continue with the plot and see if I come across any more hiccups.

-TTL

Well, then, I am really glad it was a good workaround -- if you were on the "alone" path, a second set of gnolls should spawn right n top of you (perhaps that is what I should do for the first set. I just wanted less "poof, I appear" and more "they came from that direction". I will research what could stop the spawn from occurring, and perhaps recast this as a cutscene. I checked the scripts, and the tp2; everything uses X#DGNLG1 (2,3, etc) as both .cre name and DV.

Looks like I was too happy with too little...with the created gnolls the conversation works just fine, I get some experience and the DynaJournal variable gets set to 5. That, however, is it. Drizzt doesn't reappear, nor do the "evil gnolls" appear if I'm searching alone.

I tried looking through the scripts myself, but I'm not sure which file I'm looking for. X#DYNQST.D? The area file, whichever that is?

-TTL

The area script in question is

/* Compile Area Script changes */

EXTEND_TOP ~_AR4200.BCS~ ~BG1NPC/Phase2/BAF/X#FW4200DQ.BAF~

If you can .rar or zip and send me your WeiDU.LOG and BG1NPC.DEBUG, I can help look for problems. I will also ask berelinde to weigh in, as she was able to figure out what was wrong in her case. I have tried the quest again yesterday, and everything works on my end (but then, that does not matter if it doesn't work on your end :blush:).

I do know that the "wait a day" thing sometimes was rest, rest, rest, rest instead of rest rest rest; I often left the area then came back and went to the center of the area. (the secret here is that while the different quet options *say* they are setting different times for searching, it is set as ONE_DAY game time to stop frustrations of waiting around too long in testing. I left them that way, and probably will not bother to update it; roleplayers will wait the two days, and folks who want to get it done will rest in place, so we don't really need to adjust it). The email is svowles at comcast dot net.

Well, after running into more problems, and specifically ones the readme states are fixed in v12 (Khalid's interjections played only his selection sound, no dialogue), I decided there must be some remnants of v11 or something else wrong with my installation. I then uninstalled all mods and even BG2. At some point I must have messed something up, because I can't seem to reinstall the game... the installer crashes at 65% strange enough considering I had no problem installing two weeks ago. I'm now going to try some of the solutions on Bioware's site and when/if I can reinstall the game I'll reinstall Tutu, BG1NPC and Tweaks in the recommended order. For now though, I've no .log or .debug saved I can send... Before I uninstalled, though, I tried waiting but ended up creating the evil gnoll with CLUAConsole, too, which worked just fine.

-TTL

I'm sorry you ran into trouble... I will keep researching on my end, and see if I can get this part of the quest set up better. I'll take this opportunity to recommend EasyTutu, while you reinstall - very definitely worth it! The good news is we have figured out the problem is only the spawning of the creatures.

Heh, this has long since turned into a "problems with my installation" thread, but I just wanted to let you know that after cleaning my disks and defragging the hard drive I managed to reinstall BG2 just fine. I'll now make a clean install of Tutu and v12 and try and see what else I can break with my evil non-TotSC version. EasyTutu - good idea in theory, but it claims to require TotSC, so until I get that compilation (maybe next week), it's no good to me. So for now, I'm running a Tutu v4, non-expansion game.

-TTL

Archived