Spell effects

Daeva

Right, I have a few questions regarding spell effects.

Firstly, is it possible to make infravision permanent so that it appears during the day as well as during the night? Also is it possible to have infravision with a range greater than that of the characters visibility?

Secondly, is it possible to make a spell with the effect that the caster follows the target around, or simply activate the ability "Guard" through a spell?

As always, thanks for any help!

Tah

EDIT - one other thing I've remembered - is there anyway to change the spell deafness so that it can have additional effects on only the one character or would it be better to do this via scripting?

Infravision is permanent - if you are in "darkness". it depends on the lightmap being beneath a certain threshold (I have not bothered to find out, but it seems to be about 30% luminosity).

It is easy enough to follow a target in script; doing it by spell is somewhat more interesting. From what I understand of spells and effects (and, by extension VVC and PRO), There really isn't a way to do it - except perhaps you could have a script which follow anyone with a certain setting in "SPECIFIC" and use a spell to set that IDS value.

Cheers - I thought that would be the answer but it couldn't hurt to ask . . .

I think I do the following aspect via scripting since it sounds like far too much trouble to make it a spell effect.

A few more questions, though:

Firstly, how do you check the target of a spell using scripting, and secondly how do you check a characters state (ie blind, deaf, stunned, etc) also using scripting?

Tah.

Well, it appears very difficult after the fact to check the target of anything that's happening; while the script is chosing the target, you can do a number of things with that chosen target. That's why I suggested the SPECIFIC hack: using it would be something like:

IF
  See([0.0.0.0.0.MY_SPELL_TARGET])   // or whatever you added to specific.ids and set with your spell
  Range(LastSeenBy(Myself),2)
  StateCheck(Myself,STATE_CHARMED)   //or anything else from state.ids
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	MoveTo(LastSeenBy(Myself))
END

IF
  See([0.0.0.0.MY_SPELL_TARGET])
  !Range(LastSeenBy(Myself),2)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	ChangeSpecifics(LastSeenBy(Myself),0)
	Spell(LastSeenBy(Myself),MINGS_MERCILESS_TICKLE)	// or whatever you wanted to do once you caught the spell's target.
END

Now, it appearss multiplayer uses specifics to do something, so, the engine might re-assign the specific you set before the code can run, if you cast the spell on a multiplayer party member.

Archived