Stuck in Upper Corner of Spellhold

kix

Recently started a new game, got through Irenicus' dungeon to the Promenade; but...

When I left the Promenade and entered the slums. Gaelan Bayle takes me to his home [i noticed that part of my party are outside his door while his 'Coo-ing' away].

While I'm in there, the Spellhold sequence runs and my party is stuck in the upper left-hand darkness with a message that the 'server has taken control of party members'. The sequence runs and then just sits there [speaking is over and Irenicus' and Imoen's globes are still moving - but that's it] with my party remaining in that corner able to move slightly but with no way out. I finally CLUA-ed my way back to the slums. This happened on multiple reloads. However, I did find that if I was very quick to move the party into Gaelan's house totally right after he was through speaking, went upstairs and then left the house, everything was okay.

I've got SoA [without ToB], official patch, G3 Fixpack and Tweakpack. The odd thing was that this didn't happen before the patch, fixpack and tweakpack were installed. I play using 6 created characters without NPC's. With a Gateway500, 128MB RAM and Win98SE. Ribald's genie is the only mod I have installed.

I've searched the Archives; but found no mention of this.

Oh, Ilmater, why me? :)

kix

I play using 6 created characters without NPC's. With a Gateway500, 128MB RAM and Win98SE. Ribald's genie is the only mod I have installed.

I've searched the Archives; but found no mention of this.

Oh, Ilmater, why me? :)

kix

Hello,

if you are playing really multiplayer with friends together, then please go to the Bioware techsupport forum and search/ask there at http://forums.bioware.com/forums/viewforum.html?forum=10

If you are using your own characters only for your own pleasure, you should do follwing:

- grap a savegame from your "mpsave"-folder

- copy it to the "save"-folder

- start the game in singleplayer-modus using this savegame

- go on playing only in singleplayer-mode

If you don't have already a folder named "save" under your BG2SoA folder, just create one.

BG2 SoA is a relatively old game. Although it claims to be able to be played in multiplayer, it has much issues with this mode. But you can use all savegames made in multiplayer-mode also by starting a singleplayer game, if you have copied them to the right folder. Years ago, when the game was new, it was the usually advice, to do this, to avoid multiplayer-issues, if you only want to play alone with your own created characters.

The fixpack in general is not fixing this specific problems, that the game sometimes have with multiplayer games. That would force the fixpack team, to go through all cutscenes to look for a missing "MultiplayerSync()" command at the beginning of the script... - and there are very, very many of them. This is not noticed by playing a singleplayer-game, but can cause such problems from time to time, you have described above....

Well, I will NOT force this fine team doing this, before the fixpack for the singleplayer-game is really ready :)

Regards

Roana

It probably is a missing MultiPlayerSync() and I don't think it's Fixpack. However, since Tweaks has components that specifically alter those cutscenes I think it's a non-trivial possibility Tweaks could have a bug here. I don't think sending folks to Bioware's forums (where they generally won't offer support to players with modded games) isn't really a good solution here.

First, Thank You, for your replies. This is all very appreciated.

Fixpack doesn't touch Gaelan or this cutscene, so I'm suspecting Tweaks here. Do you have Faster Cutscenes installed?

CamDawg

No I don't have this option installed. If you think it beneficial, I've tired of the repitition anyway.

Roana

I play my own characters for my own enjoyment [never really got into online play of any sort].

I'll give your remedy of multi- to single game a whirl and post back if it works.

I understand that not every configuration of every game issue can be solved, and I thank you both for taking the time to advise.

kix

CamDawg

My mistake, I did indeed have Faster Cutscenes installed. And...

Roana's suggestion works great!!

I didn't know the multiplayer games could be used as singles.

Since I don't play online, this is even better than playing with multi-saves since it loads faster, and my lead character stays in the lead when entering an area/door - whereas before my main character would always show up in the lead on entering.

Thanks to both of you again. :)

kix

Glad to hear things are working again. I'm going to move this to the Tweaks forum as I suspect I have a bug here to track down. Were you using the original EoU cutscenes or the non-silly ones?

Hello,

Cam,

I have only pointed to Bioware for the my first suggestion, as there is a very large archiv with good advices for "real" multiplayer games :)

Kix,

Fine, that it works now :). Not all peaople write back, if they have success by following an advice - so thanks, for writing this here ;).

Regards

Roana

Archived