Problem w. Dynaheir Romance (spoilers)

Guest Motherless Gnoll

Guest Motherless Gnoll

OK so I'm really enjoying the Dynaheir romance right now (and before that Branwen) and the mod in general, so let me just first of all say thanks! to all the modders and writers for a job well done, but I've run into a problem though: at LT 16 when Winski shows up to abduct Dyna, he refuses to teleport away after summoning the mephits. He just stands there with a blue circle, cannot be killed by normal means, and I can't initiate dialog with him. Also, when I try to attack him the game turns buggy and will CTD when I try to reload or leave the area later (although this COULD just be coincidence, 'cause it tends to randomly do that anyway).

So a couple of questions: will it be safe to just ignore him and go on with the game/romance, or is this something that could cause problems later on, like when he's supposed to show up somewhere else? Might be a stupid question but I'm not really familiar with how the game engine works etc. Or, would it be safe to Ctrl+Y kill him off? Because it really does kinda bother me just having him stand around there... finally, if I do let him take away Dyna+Minsc (his teleport works in that case) is there some way to get them back later with the romance intact, or are they just gone for good? I figured this might be a way around it.

Appreciate any help with this, thanks in advance.

Thank you for the bug report! I will fix this. Not sure why it isn't working now, but that is my problem, not yours - I probably messed up on the scripting. On the test runs and playtests he disappeared.

This is a bonus interaction Domi wrote, which triggers for the Romance, but is actally part of her Quest. Most folks will probably kill the mephits before they finish the spell, but it is worth saving the game and (just once) letting them complete it, just so you can see the whole poem. Then reload, because you don't want Dy and Minsc gone FOREVAR.

*Don't* let him take Dynaheir. They are gone for good, killed - the animation is DRYAD_TELEPORT, which kills the actor. After all, if you let him take her away, you know she is toast...

You can safely CRT-Y him, as he is a "copy" creature. Nothing you do to him has any effect on any other part of the game - in code terms, he is a "clone" of his later self, so that we don't accidentally mess with a real in-game creature. If you don't want overpowered free "gifts", leave his gear where it falls. He is *supposed* to teleport out immediatelty on summoning, so I will look at the code and figure it out... If he doesn't die, have him just stand around and it will be ok, but don't try to take him on - he has an invincibility item so that you can't break the plot continuity (you will run into him later, after all!). If the game goes buggy with him just standing there or with him CTR-Y'ed, please send me a savegame (svowles at comcast dot net ) so I can try to troubleshoot this. Hopefully it is not a required high traffic are - I bet we had better stop him from showwing up in the midle of Baldurs Gate. Right now it is two days after the quest is completed.. wherever you happen to be.

For the record, I am half-way through a complete recode of Jaheira's Quest with Kulyok's template and cross-platform variables, and have thie Dynaheir Quest up next on the list (boy, I really did not do anything simply. I can't believe how convoluted I wrote this! The folly and innocence of youth (last year)...)

To help troubleshoot, can anyone see anything boneheaded in the following (which should get rid of Winski in the above situation?)

APPEND ~X#WINSKI~
 IF ~~ X#DYQUWinEndAttack
 SAY @152
 = @153
 = @154
 IF ~InParty(Player6)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#DYQUImpAttack","GLOBAL",1)
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#DYQIMP",Player1,[50.100])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT5",Player1,[100.100])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT4",Player1,[100.50])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT3",Player1,[60.60])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT2",Player1,[70.100])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT1",Player1,[40.90])
 ReallyForceSpell("X#WINSKI",DRYAD_TELEPORT)~
 EXIT
 IF ~InParty(Player5)
 !InParty(Player6)~ THEN DO ~SetGlobal("X#DYQUImpAttack","GLOBAL",1)
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT4",Player1,[100.100])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT3",Player1,[100.50])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT2",Player1,[60.60])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT1",Player1,[70.100])
 EXIT
 IF ~InParty(Player4)
 !InParty(Player5)
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT3",Player1,[100.100])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT2",Player1,[100.50])
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT1",Player1,[60.60])
 EXIT
 IF ~InParty(Player3)
 !InParty(Player4)
 !InParty(Player5)
 CreateCreatureObjectOffset("X#MEPHT2",Player1,[100.100])
 EXIT
 IF ~InParty(Player2)
 !InParty(Player3)
 !InParty(Player4)
 !InParty(Player5)
 EXIT
 END

Unless DRYAD_TELEPORT has an incorrect .ids entry, of course...

in tp2, creating the .cre:

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%WINSKI.cre~ ~override/X#WINSKI.cre~
SAY NAME1 @284
SAY NAME2 @284
SAY BATTLE_CRY1 @285
SAY BATTLE_CRY2 @285
SAY BATTLE_CRY3 @285
SAY BATTLE_CRY4 @285
SAY BATTLE_CRY5 @285
SAY ATTACK1 @285
SAY ATTACK2 @285
SAY DAMAGE @286
SAY DYING @287
SAY SELECT_COMMON1 @285
SAY SELECT_COMMON2 @285
WRITE_ASCII 0x2cc ~X#WINSKI~ #8//Dialogue file
WRITE_BYTE 0x270 ~128~ //Allegiance = Neutral no combat scripts assigned to cre, so should remain neutral
WRITE_ASCII 0x268 ~X#DYQWIN~ #8 //Default Script
WRITE_ASCII 0x248 ~X#DYQWIN~ #8 // override script no combat scripting assigned in bcs, so should not respond
WRITE_ASCII 0x280 ~X#WINSKI~ #32 // death variable, "winski" used on copied uncalled _WINSKI.cre
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Guest Motherless Gnoll

Thank you for the response, that's a relief... I guess I will just Ctrl+Y him then (and try to restrain myself from grabbing his loot, I did notice a Ring of Wizardry and some nice scrolls...)

The game only seems to go buggy if I try to attack him and then break off the assault, randomly CTD'ing when I try to load or leave the area. I will keep some before and after saves just in case. Any other info or anything you need to fix it, just let me know, happy to help. :) I am in Beregost, with the same thing happening if I go to Nashkel, didn't get to Baldur's Gate yet.

And again thank you and great job to everyone involved with this project. :)

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you did not use NumInParty(#)?

Not that this has any effect on Winski, just curious.

'caus I didn't know about it --- :)

I will go look it up on the IESDP. It could lighten the density of code, perhaps...

y'know, it might also be better to just put all this action in Winski's script, called by a single setting.

And use ReallyForceSpell(Myself,DRYAD_TELEPORT).

@Motherless Gnoll -- well, you could grab the Ring (and the ring of free action) as payment for him failing to behave correctly! 'Course, you would just have to pretend the mephits had them as treasure or something. I just checked, and those are the stock items. The nice thing about role-playing is you can justify just about anything you want :)

It all worked on my runs, and testing folks, but still. I really need to get Jaheira finished up and then go through and simplify Dynaheir.

Archived