How should I remove the party? OMFG

Blaellyn

Right so I want to make it so the party is out of action for a while (will be replaced by a new party) The player is going across the sea, there will me no exp rewards. Strickly playing as a reward as so the player does not advance beyond the party. How should I get have them drop the party? Oh and I SCREWED UP MY AREA!! OVER 4000 ALTERNATE TILES TO DROP!!! BY HAND!!! WTF?! NO!!! GOD WHY?! WHY GOD?!?! WHY?! WHY ME?!! So post your ideas on telling the player that they can't come here and I'll get back to you. Don't laugh at me please....

If you are asking how you can drop up to 5 NPCs from the party, force-joining up to 5 new NPCs, and have the original party rejoin automatically after the conclusion of the encounter, I don't know if you can. The dropping and adding another party part would be easy enough but the other NPCs would probably have to be recruited again with individual rejoining dialogues, which will be hard for those modded NPCs that can never be recruited again after leaving the party, like Saerileth or Kivan. Adding anything to mod NPCs requires modder cooperation, and you'd have to get everyone to go along with it.

As for the areas, I can't help you there, but there are people that can.

Edit: moved from a different thread, because I obviously cannot read at 3 am.

It may actually be quicker to start again, seriously. My guess is that you are trying to create one area on top of another and are going to force the change of tiles via script. If that's the case, you would be better creating two areas and using the LUA move command (check in action.ids - I'm on a none-mod PC ATM so I can't look it up) to move the party from one area to the other and back again.

-Y-

Ha! Well ok, just need to drop the party so that specific people join the party (you own a ship and your crew becomes your party, only 2 or 3 guys will join so yeah) So now you know why I need to get rid of the party. BTW you're on a completely new continate for the thing. (might wanna drop your stuff at a safe box and perhaps invest your cash in jems or something)

You know, you might be able to get out of joining those extra NPCs at all. It might be better to let the PC interact with them as if they were in the party while leaving the rest of the party in another area and unselectable. I'm guessing that the PC and the other NPCs would mostly be following the PC and talking to him periodically. You could do that with scripts. Unless you wanted the PC to direct the crew's actions, of course.

Sorry to sound so discouraging about the feasibility of replacing party members, but you might have the PC and 5 multi-player NPCs, who also can't be rejoined without a component of BG2 Tweaks. Your least cumbersome option might be what I described.

Moving to another area is still just moving to another area. For BGT folks who don't have the BP Worldmap installed, that's all done on 2 maps as well. It is possible to travel to previous areas through use of the CLUA console, which tells me that it would be possible to script the party (or part of it) there as well.

When I'm faced with a challenge, the first thing I do is look for a mod that does something similar to what I'm trying to do. In your case, you might want to think about what mods might move the party between maps. Possibly there might be something in BGT that would help you, or maybe one of the "Big Mods."

Is it absolutely essential to the storyline of your mod that only the protagonist be included on the ship? That would really annoy other players in a multi-player game.

Well, no, I suppose not... but I was going to have the crew do quite a bit of the negotiating and whatnot... This adventure was going to optional anyway and not required to move on in the story...

If this whole thing is optional, anyway, maybe it would just be easiest to let the whole party come along and let the crew conduct negotiations on their behalf. You don't want to make this any harder than you have to, right?

You might consider using the trick for the Dream sequences in SoA. In (some of/one of)those, the party remains with the character, but are unselectable and in a sub-area, or in a corner of the map that can't be seen. You could have the crew join the party like summoned creatures, and the player would have full control of them/ be able to speak to them and so on.

Archived