Mirror Image

Skye

Depends on what you're asking. You can use the "mirror image effect" effect to specify the exact number of images, but there's no way to influence the number of images created for the standard "mirror image" effect.

That's confusing, what's the difference between "mirror image effect" effect and "mirror image" effect? :( What I would need is a less powerful mirror image that say only creates a maximum of 3 images regardless of level.

I don't think anybody knows all the differences, but "mirror image effect" applies the specified number of images (without the automatic calculation that "mirror image" forces). It's a way to always get n images (and only n). I can't remember if this is one of the "effect" effects that's attached to character when the base effect is used (obviously, you wouldn't want to suddenly lose or gain images if the affected character's level changes while the effect is still on), so there could be other differences between the two.

You could create a new spell that uses "mirror image effect" with the correct number of images for each level you want the number of images to change -- e.g., you could have a Level 1 ability with 1 image, a Level 3 ability with 2 images, and a Level 5 ability with 3 images.

The random number mirror image effect creates the other effect with parameters calculated by a level based formula.

You can create a different mirror image spell with random numbers if you use the probability field and the fix number mirror images.

So if I got this right, the mirror image effect only calls the other mirror image (with exact numbers)? That means effectively that there's no difference if you define your own random function with the probabilty parameters except you have control over it?

Hrm, thanks. I've been wondering about this for a long time. After all these years, now that my powergaming nature has calmed down a bit, I'm actually start to think about reducing the effectiveness of things instead of the other way around :(

If Avenger says it, it's almost certainly true. It's possible that there are other differences between the two, but they shouldn't be noticeable or have any real effect.

If you wanted the increase by level, you could follow my first suggestion, or if you wanted a random chance, you can follow Avenger's (with probabilities similar to 0-33,34-66,67-100 for the three "mirror image effect" effects that you'd add to the ability). Just set the parameter for "mirror image effect" to the exact number of images you want created, and it should all work fine (you could even have the probabilities change with higher levels, giving a greater chance of getting 3 images as the caster's level increased).

If you wanted the increase by level, you could follow my first suggestion, or if you wanted a random chance, you can follow Avenger's (with probabilities similar to 0-33,34-66,67-100 for the three "mirror image effect" effects that you'd add to the ability). Just set the parameter for "mirror image effect" to the exact number of images you want created, and it should all work fine (you could even have the probabilities change with higher levels, giving a greater chance of getting 3 images as the caster's level increased).
I think that after almost 8 years of modding I know how to make spells but thanks for taking the time to write all that :(

This is one of the effects i tested/debugged fully.

You can check it easily without resorting to debuggers.

Cast a mirror image, save the game, and you will see that your actor is affected by the fixed images effect.

Archived