CTD problem with Imoen

Guessed

I am having a problem with Imoen's dialogues. The specific one is where the main character notices that she is perusing Tarnash's spell book. Dynaheir makes a comment and I believe Imoen should respond but instead I get a crash to desktop. This is repeatable and happens when I load the same save. I'm not far into the game, just at the gnoll stronghold.

I had a few (one or two) instances ealier where the mod could not find a dialogue response for Imoen but there were no crashes so I let it go.

I have easytutu and the bg1npc mod installed and that is about it. I think the only other one is the de-greenifier. Can I fix this without a reinstall? Even though I am not far along I'd really rather not have to start over again if I can help it.

Could you please zip or .rar a save and send it to me at svowles at comcast dot net? I believe we have fixed this problem, but I want to track *how* it is happening - three people over 1 year have ended up with Imoen going MIA in the Beta3 code. We have recoded the whole project, and I can return with either a fix or if it is not possible a link to the internal pre-release, which has yet to evidence this problem...

Got it - investigating.

OK, good news and OK news. I think I know what the problem is, but I am not completely sure. Really good news first: using your save on the latest internal beta works great. I am not completely sure that everything would work completely perfectly, but I think it would - you would have a bunch of back Imoen talks to go through, because they are set up a little differently, but I think that if you separate out your save, uninstall BG1 NPC, and install the newest internal, I am pretty sure everything will go on working well.

The problem that you have encountered with Imoen is tricker to diagnose. I don't know why she would not have registerer earlier, but in the quicksave you sent, Minsc is dead. Through a coding loophole, some banters in the released Beta do not have all of the appropriate checks for state. That means Minsc's not being avainlable is crashing the dialogue. I still can't figure out what is stopping Imoen from being recognised, but I am happy that it appears the internal recode seems to have fixed whatever it is that was going wrong.

I am sending the link via your email address!

If it helps at all, the times where it mentioned that there was no reply found for Imoen were fairly early on. One was in the Friendly Arms Inn and I am fairly certain I had the pc, Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Montaron and Xvar in the party. I don't have a save that goes that far back, though.

If it would help you figure things out I can start a new game and see if I can replicate the same problem before I try the new version you sent a link to. I am guessing the same problem would show up pretty quickly if it was going to do so.

Actually, just checked my email and I don't have a message from you there. If you sent it already could you give it another try? Thanks.

The problem can appear the first night at an inn, with that party combination. The talk between Imoen and Xzar was one of the first ones I found where the trigger conditions in the script and the trigger conditions in the dialogue didn't match, which resulted in a possible CTD that first time they rested.

You'd be better off with that link cmorgan sent, really.

Well, things seem to be working now. The quicksave still had an issue - the game crashed every time I tried to rest although it seemed all right otherwise. I had an autosave that was also very recent and that one seems to work fine with this version. I've had no problems so far with Imoen or anyone else. Thanks!

Archived