Durlag's chess game

Lemernis

Yoiks, the chess game is tough!

I killed all the enemy's knights and pawns just by staying put in the back row, and saved game at that point. Party is well buffed. But the enemy's remaining back row pieces are proving too much. If I bum rush the king with my tanks who've gulped down potions of absorption, the king is undamaged by my party's +2 and +1 weapons. They're not hitting the king at all. Unfortunately I do not have Dispell memorized. Anyway, after a bit... maybe 5-10 rounds or so, thereabouts... the bishops kill my tanks off with Flame Strike plus whatever else they have up their sleeve. So this stratgey does not appear to be the answer. Also, summoned creatures (monsters II) don't seem to distract the enemy spellcasters.

There's always a way to win a battle, and I'm sure this battle is no exception though I've not yet found it. Suggestions please! Tnx :)

PC Fighter 8

Fighter 7/Stormlord of Talos 7

Mage 7/Kensai 7 (SKed multiclass)

Monk 8

Mage 7/Assassin 8 (SKed multiclass)

Imoen - Blade 9

Looks like I'm going to have to rest (which I am able to do, just checked) and memorize some very specific spells: Dispell, Protection from Fire, load up on Melf's Minute meteors; and even try using Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on a non-tank character, upon which hopefully the enemy will expend their heaviest spells...

Edit: Hmm, unfortunately Dispell does not strip the king of his Otiluke's, that's disappointing. The bishop's aren't falling for the decoy of my Otiluked party member either.

Edit: I guess if all else fails I'll just run past them to get through to the next level and finish the tower. But there really ought to be a way to win this. Right now I'm just not seeing it, though. I'm not finding a way to strip the king's protections, and those bishop Flame Strikes are just too deadly to withstand. Protection from Fire doesn't work against Flame Strike's divine magical energy?

I'm slightly worried by this "Otiluke" effect around the king. He doesn't use that spell in my version (he's got Minor Globe, Protection from Normal Missiles etc, but not Resilient Sphere) and he ought to be affected by your magical melee weapons. And his buffs ought to be dispellable (though he's mid level so you'd need to get lucky or use Arrows of Dispelling).

As for the priests: using archers or Magic Missiles to disrupt their spellcasting works quite well - Flame Strike is a slow spell.

In one of the many reloads I could have sworn I saw in the feedback text "King: Otiluke's Resilient Sphere." I'm almost positive that I did, but I may simply have been mistken. The king does have that spell animation 'globe' effect surrounding him.

Anyway, when I've subsequently checked I see the king casting the following spells:

Shielded

Mirror Image

Ghost Armor

Protected from Evil

Protected from Normal Missiles

Shielded

Greater Malison

Confusion

I did finally get the win simply by keeping my party in the back row and letting the king come to them. The king didn't always behave this way, but on several reloads the king advanced all by himself, i.e., without the bishops and rooks. On one of those occasions, the first of 9 arrows of dispelling worked--unfortunately I had a party death as I was trying to finish the king off (he was near death, too--bastard!)

On the reload where I did defeat the king, it did not appear that any of of the arrows of dispelling hit, and the king continued to have the globe around him the entire time. But fortunately the king's Confusion castings only succeeded on the monk and Mage-Kensai. My Fighter finally started hitting the king, and killed him when the king went into melee (still with that globe around him).

I noticed that the queen didn't seem to be doing anything at all in these battles. She just stood there. I think this may have been the case also when the pawns and knights made it to the back row and "queened."

I'm thankful that the king advanced without the assistance from his bishops. This battle may well have been unwinnable otherwise.

Great time, though. Love these tough battles!

I guess you really have to get lucky for Dispel Magic to succeed. That appears to be the key to winning if you're going to leave your own back row.

Oops, those are definitely bugs - I've tracked both of them down. No idea how come the queen wasn't getting magic properly, but she is now, and the king now correctly doesn't advance.

What difficulty level do you play on, out of interest?

Core Rules.

Btw, not sure if this matters, but the king advancing all by himself happened in the save after I had defeated the knights and pawns. I did not rest and try the battle again for that to happen.

Man, I dunno, I might leave the king alone to let him do that just so that there's a (very counterintuitive) means to win the fight! The vast majority of players are probably going to go on the offensive and send party members toward the other end of the board. I only stumbled onto this method of simply waiting for the king to come forward by accident, really.

What do you make of the globe surrounding the king? IIRC that's not an animation for any of those spells the king cast, is it?

Yeah, I'm sure that's it. Which is not one of the spells the feedback text said he buffed with. Maybe it's just the wrong animation appearing for another spell? Or he actually has Minor Globe of Invulnerability on him somehow. Protection from Normal Missiles is a purple cylinder, IIRC.

Guest Guest_coaster_*

Hi David

Is the bug correction you refer to above re: the King and Queen incorporated into the v5 currently available for download, or will it be in the next version?

Thanks

coaster

Hi David

Is the bug correction you refer to above re: the King and Queen incorporated into the v5 currently available for download, or will it be in the next version?

Thanks

coaster

It'll be in the next version (depending on a couple of things, I might release a v5.1 quite soon with just these couple of fixes, or it might have to wait). Sorry.

Archived