Installation...hitting a wall

Guest Liriodendron

Guest Liriodendron

I was very happy to see all the new releases for the G3 birthday and of course immediately started downloading them! Things were going fine until the power went out in the middle of it, while the sword and fist one was still in the DOS window. I rebooted the computer and tried to start the installations again, but every time I try to run the exe it says I can't install more than one mod at a time...and that I have to let sword and fist finish installing. Well, its dos window is gone since the outage and I have no earthly idea how to fix this. Even trying to run the sword and fist exe says the same thing, it's permanently stuck in the middle of it and rebooting does nothing. Help, please!!!!!

I am not sure if this helps, but :

When you press (ctrl+alt+delete) and look under system processes, and running applications. Do you see the mod's .exe running anywhere? If you do just highlight it and select "End Task".

I am not sure if this helps, as rebooting usually closes most user run programs that are not on the startup line in msconfig. Anyway, I hope this helps. Take it easy, and God Bless. Later Days....... =P

Guest Liriodendron

I pulled up task manager and looked under both applications and processes, but the mod exe wasn't there. I hit the exe again to make sure, and the name appeared under both tabs (though still claiming it hasn't finished the last installation). I had no idea a power outage would make such problems...I can't imagine even a clean install would help if my dos window is bugged up now.

A clean install would most likely fix everything. I think the reason your DOS window is bugged, is because half the files of the mod are installed, and it was terminated halfway through installation. So DOS still thinks you are in the middle of an install. So if you either A. Remove the files manually, or B. Do a manual install of the mod (If you know how). If its not too much work, and you don't have too many mods to re-install. Then I would just go with a clean install. Hopefully that will fix everything.

I have had this happen to me before when Installing the orignal Baldur's Gate game itself. And every time I tried to run Install Shield, it said installation was already running, even after I restarted the computer. It would not work correctly until I manually deleted and un-installed all the files in the directory.

I wish I could be of more assistance. I am new to this forum, and kind of a novice when it comes to handling and making mods for the Infinity Engine. Anyway, take it easy and God Bless. Later Days....... =P

Things were going fine until the power went out in the middle of it, while the sword and fist one was still in the DOS window. I rebooted the computer and tried to start the installations again, but every time I try to run the exe it says I can't install more than one mod at a time...and that I have to let sword and fist finish installing.

It's a known issue with WeiDU 200. To fix it, delete the file called WeiDU.lock from your BG2 folder.

Unver WeiDU v200, there is a file that is set to stop multiple attempts to modify the game at the same time. What has probably happened is because the install was not finished, it never got to delete that file.

Instructions (at PPG) reposed here;

go to your istallation and find the file named "weidu.lock".

delete that file.

(In ordinary circumstances, the next instruction would be to close the command line process by pressing "enter" instead of closing it using that little "x" on the corner of the box, but in this case you didn't do anything wrong - the power outage basically imploded the poor program's entire universe, leavig little pieces of it everywhere!)

Oh, and it would be a good idea to run your disk protection programs right now, just in case - scandisk, defragmentation programs, etc., and then ddo a backup. Yanking power from a computer, bu accident or design, does all sorts of strange things, and it is better to be safe than sorry ;)

I am sure you are on the way to becoming a Gibberling aVENGER, thanks a bunch bro. Take it easy, and God Bless. Later Days....... =P

Heh, actually, I'm home at SHS. ;) Still, I'm afraid I wouldn't have enough free time to serve as a full-time forum moderator anywhere, even if I were offered the chance. I do try my best to help other people with any modding related questions though.

On topic, apparently, this controversial feature will be gone in WeiDU v201. ;)

Guest twetwe123

Ohhh man, thank you for posting this question! I was browsing these forums yesterday, read this post, didn't know the answer, and moved on. About 10 minutes ago I ran into the same problem (me being stupid and closing the install window using the X rather than ENTER, probably) so I went through my history folder to find this topic. And deleting weidu.lock worked, of course. Thank you, all of you!

Archived