Uber Wolfweres

Ayce

This is less a mod question, than a bug report, or rather a bug inquiry because I'm pretty sure I had no mods installed at the time I first discovered this bug.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had trouble with uber powerful wolfweres in Firkraag's Lair. The seem to regenerate from nearly dead to uninjured in the blink of an eye. This always seems to occur whenever I reload a game within Firkraag's lair, I had to go back to the start of the level for this bug not to occur.

I know some people are thinking my characters probably just sucked, but alas, I was watching the dialog box and seeing what should have been enough damage to kill them. What's more, when I played the level without reloading it, I was able to beat them much more easily. I'm sure this is a game bug.

Just wanted to know if there's anyone who's encountered this problem and may have found a fix for it.

;)

It's a known issue and the BG2 Fixpack takes care of it:

Anath and Other Lycanthropes Well-Nigh Invincible

Anath and a few other lycanthropes were using an old BG item (ringloup.itm) that protected them from all but 'cold iron' weapons. Cold iron is an old BG flag that was used to determine which items could hurt lycanthropes, as BG had no enchantment levels to determine who could hit what. In BG2, this flag is all but unused (weapon enchantment is used instead) which is why only a very few (and very random) weapons would hurt Anath or other creatures with this item equipped. The item is replaced with a standard item that provides lycanthrope abilities.

... and the standard item that provides lycanthrope abilities had its own bug. The regeneration effect was set not to be in effect while equipped, but permanently. Every time the game was reloaded in an area with someone wearing this item, the regeneration effect would get applied again. This could lead to wolfweres regenerating at fantastic rates, much too high to be killed via anything other than a spell or effect that killed instantly.

Files altered: firwlf01.cre, firwlf02.cre, ringwolf.itm, rngwlf01.cre, rngwlf02.cre, rngwlf03.cre, rngwlf04.cre, rngwlf05.cre, weregr01.cre, weregrdr.cre

How odd, i just ran into this problem in ToB (ekim cyre, the werewyvern in abazigal's lair).

ringwolf.itm applies a permanent regeneration on it though it already has an embedded regen effect.

And the item is reapplied whenever you leave/enter the area ;)

Well there you go. I thought this was from the Greater Wolfweres spawning at high levels in Firkraag's dungeon. In the Monstrous Manuals it does say they need to be killed outright in one round or they regenerate entirely.

Damn, that's too much!!!

Archived