Minor Globe of Invulnerability and Spell Immunity

While playing around a bit with Minor Globe of Invulnerability and Spell Immunity I was surprised how many of my own spells could still hurt me.

1. Minor Globe of Invulnerability

While my own Chromatic Orb, Spook, Deafness, Web, Fireball, Skull Trap and Lightning Bolt couldn’t touch me at all, I could successfully cast Blindness, Larloch’s Minor Drain, Magic Missile, Melf’s Acid Arrow, Agannazar’s Scorcher, Strength and Flame Arrow on my PC with active MGoI.

2. Spell Protection

I only tested Spell Immunity (Necromancy)/Skull Trap, SI (Evocation)/Fireball, SI (Evocation)/Web, SI (Conjuration)/Melf’s Acid Arrow, SI (Evocation)/Cloudkill - and protection is not provided in all these cases. Does SI only protect against spells cast by foes? At least the spell description claims that “[a]ll spells of this school will not be able to harm or aid the caster ...â€Â.

Are these bugs or am I missing something?

I use BG2 Fixpack v4 (and a few harmless mods which don’t alter spells).

In general, spells cast on self ignore magic resistance, spell school immunity, secondary type immunity, and spell level immunity. It's hardcoded and almost certainly intentional (so your own protection spells don't block other protection spells).

Presumably spell immunity hasn't been fixed up because of that nasty "or aid the caster" clause in the description; while this can be done it'll break all kinds of scripting (including some native game scripts). I just removed that bit from the description locally.

Presumably spell immunity hasn't been fixed up because of that nasty "or aid the caster" clause in the description; while this can be done it'll break all kinds of scripting (including some native game scripts). I just removed that bit from the description locally.

Wanna post your revised descript?

I'll have to dig up my ol' stinky .tra. Something like this

~Spell Immunity (Abjuration)

Level: 5

Range: Self

Duration: 1 round / level

Casting Time: 5

Area of Effect: Self

Saving Throw: None

Casting this spell grants the wizard protection from one spell school of her choice. After the spell is cast, the wizard must choose the school she wishes to be protected from. All spells of this school will not be able to harm the caster for the duration of this spell.~

with the range standardized as self (Bio used 0 and self interchangeably, but they're not the same).

It's still kind of a lie since Spell Immunity Abjuration doesn't stop any Magic Attack spells, but they (arguably) only hurt the caster's protections :help:

Archived