Edit "Strenght" spell for IWD

Abel

iwdyo2.th.jpg

Hi, I downloaded DLTCEP & IEEP, and tried to edit the spell "Strength" for IWD, but as you can see on the picture, no many options are available.

The description says: "Upon application of this spell the target's strength is magically increased by an amount depending on its class. Clerics and Thieves gain 1-6 points, Fighters gain 1-8 points, and Mages gain 1-4 points. For Fighters only, all points above a strength of 18 are converted into a 10% bonus for each extra point, to a maximum of an 18/00 strength. For other classes 18 strength is the maximum."

I personnaly find the 10% bonus for fighters useless, & not fair.

+18 Strength bonuses occur at 18/01-50, 51-75, 76-90, 91-99, 00.

As a consequence, the spell doesn't necesserily grant you an increase in the strength table for each point thus gained, which is its essential function. Moreover, it doesn't really help fighters who kept ability points for other ones than Strength.

I would like to modify this spell, in order that, for each point gained, it should work as "Draw Upon Holy Might", and jump from 18/01-50 to 51-75, from 51-75 to 76-90, etc. to a maximum of 18/00 for Fighters only.

Do you know how to procede?

Screenshots always make me so glad there's no Mac OS X DLTCEP. :p

I don't want to think about it too much (Nythrun will come along to verify), but my initial impression is that you won't be able to do what you want (I don't remember the limitations of IWD, but you wouldn't be able to conditionally alter strength based on a character's current strength in a single spell in any IE variant).

Screenshots always make me so glad there's no Mac OS X DLTCEP. :)

I don't want to think about it too much (Nythrun will come along to verify), but my initial impression is that you won't be able to do what you want (I don't remember the limitations of IWD, but you wouldn't be able to conditionally alter strength based on a character's current strength in a single spell in any IE variant).

Thanks for the answer, even if it confirms what I unhappily thought.

It is a pity, that so much features to mod with IE are still unknown.

Having worked with Aurora on NWN, I can just regret Bioware did not release an IE editor.

DevSin: The whining is needless about dltcep screenshots, NI would look even poorer :)

3 is a special option in IWD which is hacked to give exactly the advertised bonuses (described in the spell). You cannot modify it except with IDS targeting.

The IE engine doesn't allow you to have strength categories in 18/x.

Btw, no one paid me for a complete IWD opcode description, so some nuances are not described yet. This doesn't mean it is unknown, just nobody cared with IWD so far.

CheckStat(37) doesn't work in IWD?

You can do this, but you'd probably enjoy a day spent shampooing the dog a lot more: much work for meager effect - especially if you want it cosmetically acceptable.

There's pretty much nothing you'll ever want to do in IWD that you couldn't do in BG2, but the converse isn't at all true. Trading dialogue timers and projectiles for BitGlobals is a mess-of-pottage kind of ripoff.

Ok, Nythrun, you are right. It is possible to make a horrible script/spell hybrid which probably would do mostly the desired effects.

Btw, with gemrb, i try to make mode #3 of the str opcode to be more moddable.

There is a 2da which lets you define the 1dx bonus per classes (for dex and str opcodes of iwd).

[edit]

By the way. The current dltcep DOES show mode #3 in the opcode description.

True, it just says, it works like the 'Strength' spell. But well, it would be a waste to write the exact formulas down.

It is a pity, that so much features to mod with IE are still unknown.
Almost everything should be known (more or less; as Avenger says, the IWD series is largely ignored). Effect handling is fairly generic, so you can't really do anything that complex (you're mostly limited to adjusting modifiers or choosing between hardcoded behaviors).

The screenshot doesn't seem to be lacking any information. The disabled fields are only valid for extended EFF structures (used in memory and attached to creatures or used from standalone files in some variants); the active fields are pretty much all you get with item and spell effects (the effect structures are only 48 bytes after all).

The whining is needless about dltcep screenshots, NI would look even poorer
I don't think so. I'm a fan of the list view over a jumble of text entry fields with vague labels (not to mention that the association between label and field isn't very prominent with the layout in the pic). Not that DLTCEP isn't useful or can't do things you wouldn't even want to try in NI, but it sure is ugly (some people may prefer it, but it would slow me down quite a bit if I had occasion to use it).

Archived