Spell Tweaks

Demivrgvs

SCS II introduces some tweaks and others could be introduced (if we can persuade DavidW of course! :) ) so i've thought about creating a thread related only to this aspect of the AI enhancing. I've pratically finished a complete revision of all spells for my custom game thus my suggestions are implemented in my run with SCS II and i'm testing their compatibility. Anyway i think most spell tweaks have to be taken into account by the AI in order to be perfectly integrated and that is why only DavidW could decide if they're worth to be introduced or not.

Saving Throws System:

I'm testing a possible solution to beef up the previously useless save-or-else spells and except some drawbacks it seems to work just fine. It is composed of two major "tweaks" and i really would like to know your opinions about them.

1) Leveled saving throw's penalties: all level 1 spells have no penalties to their saves, all level 2 spells have a -1 penalty, level 3 spells have a -2 penalty and so on up to level 7 spells which have a -6 penalty. The cap prevents uber -7/-8 penalties for level 8/9 spells and i think cleric/druid's level 7 slots should be somewhat comparable to the mage's highest ones.

2) "Appropriate"saves: this one is the more controversial and i don't know if it can be accepted by AD&D fans. Reflex based saves are changed from save vs. spell to save vs. breath (e.g. Fireball). Constitution based saves are changed from save vs. spell to save vs. death (e.g. disease, poison, death effects). Will based saves maintain their save vs. spell (e.g. charm, emotion, hold, slow effects). Furthmore if a tweak like this is implemented saves' tables for all classes have to be changed accordingly, which is easy to implement for the character's party but more difficult for all enemies in game. Therefore i suppose it probably can't be part of SCS II.

Arcane spells

Level 2:

- Glitterdust: creatures affected cannot return invisible for 4 rounds (as it should be i suppose), i don't know if it can be done but this spell should reveal invisible targets affected by Spell Immunity: Divination

Level 3:

- Melf's Minute Meteor: reducing the apr to "only" 3 could prevent the abuse of them during Time Stop

- Prot. from Normal Missile: would a Prot. from Missile be overpowered?

- Skull Trap: DavidW preceded me...i've reduced damage to 1d4 per level (up to a maximum of 20d4)

Level 4:

- Ice Storm: creatures in the area have movements reduced by 50% (at least it has some uses now!)

- Improved Invisibility: +4 to AC, remove +4 to saves, if Spell Immunities don't stacks there's no need to change the non-targetability of invisible creatures

Level 5:

- Phantom Blade: +4 enchanted, 100% spell failure for one round on hit (as per Moon Blade actually)

- Prot. from Acid: it should prevent spell disruption caused by Melf's Acid Arrows, Death Fog, ...

- Prot. from Electricity: it should prevent spell disruption caused by Lightning Bolts, Chain Lightning, ...

- Spell Immunity: only one school at a time. This is one of the tweaks that can't be correctly implemented without DavidW acknowledge and it's one of the most important i think.

Level 6:

- Chain Lightning: 1d6 per level to the first target and half damage to others

- Death Fog: i've renamed it Acid Fog, removed the summon's insta-kill, added 50% movements penalty

- Mislead: clone last "only" 6 rounds (otherwise it can be really abused), invisibility last 1 round/level, added the previously missing bonus due to Improved Invisibility state

Level 7:

- Mantle: protects from +3 weapons (previously too weak in my opinion)

- Sphere of Chaos: creatures in the area are affected by wild magic

Level 8:

- Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting: reduce damage to 1d6/level (up to 20d6), save vs. death at -6 penalty half

- Improved Mantle: protects from +4 weapons (previously too weak in my opinion)

Level 9:

- Absolute Immunity: protects from +5 weapons, +6 weapons should be "nerfed" to make this spell worth a level 9 slot

I like most of your changes, they make sense to me. There are so many useless or weak spells that it takes a lot away from the game's potential imo. Although I believe DavidW has stated that he doesn't want to mess with the basics too much, so I doubt we will see them in SCS2...

Really liked the idea of the 3rd edition kinda saves btw, maybe some bored modder takes it up :)

I like most of your changes, they make sense to me. There are so many useless or weak spells that it takes a lot away from the game's potential imo. Although I believe DavidW has stated that he doesn't want to mess with the basics too much, so I doubt we will see them in SCS2...

Afraid so, sorry... although if someone produces a mod with spell modifications built in, I'll consider making SCS2 AI compatible with it.

Afraid so, sorry... although if someone produces a mod with spell modifications built in, I'll consider making SCS2 AI compatible with it.
Actually i'm building it taking SCS2 into account whenever it's possible cause i won't play a game without it! :)

One (optional) component I'd like to see added which would make sense in SCS2 would be a tweak that sets imprisonment to allow a save. In other words, rather than having your AI not target the protagonist with imprisonment, just allow a save of some sort (perhaps at a penalty) against the spell. While you're in there, It'd also make sense to set maze to allow a save and add saves to all the vorpal weapons in the game. (I think the Halberd is the only one that has no save for its death effect. The Axe, I believe, allows a save but doesn't have it listed in the item description, but don't quote me on that.)

One (optional) component I'd like to see added which would make sense in SCS2 would be a tweak that sets imprisonment to allow a save. In other words, rather than having your AI not target the protagonist with imprisonment, just allow a save of some sort (perhaps at a penalty) against the spell.

I think SCS II should keep things like they are now and have the AI target the protagonist (if the protagonist is the most sensible target and not just to make you end the game, which I'd hate) and you'd better install Imprisonment Fix from TheBigg's Tweak Pack. :)

One (optional) component I'd like to see added which would make sense in SCS2 would be a tweak that sets imprisonment to allow a save. In other words, rather than having your AI not target the protagonist with imprisonment, just allow a save of some sort (perhaps at a penalty) against the spell.

I think SCS II should keep things like they are now and have the AI target the protagonist (if the protagonist is the most sensible target and not just to make you end the game, which I'd hate) and you'd better install Imprisonment Fix from TheBigg's Tweak Pack. :)

The AI targeting the protagonist is optional. Just do

SetGlobal("DMWWImprisonPlayer","GLOBAL",1)

at the console.

Archived