Banters interrupt spell casting

Guest Truper

I had Aerie cast a haste spell prior to going into battle. Between the time she started casting it and its completion, Minsc began his "will you be my witch" banter. The spell did not take effect, but yet it was removed from Aerie's spell book.

I don't suppose this is an issue that could be addressed?

I admit that it is extremely rare, and therefore a minor issue, but let me clarify something. Iirc, if I have a character start to cast a spell, but then give them another order, the spell won't be cast, but the spell will remain in the spellbook. Am I wrong about this? If I'm not, if banters could be prevented from firing while someone was casting a spell as they apparently are while combat is occcuring, I'd be happy :) Or, if banters interrupting spellcasting is intended, then that would be fine, if the spell remained in the spellbook as I belive it does under player-initiated interruptions.

If I'm not, if banters could be prevented from firing while someone was casting a spell as they apparently are while combat is occcuring, I'd be happy :) Or, if banters interrupting spellcasting is intended, then that would be fine, if the spell remained in the spellbook as I belive it does under player-initiated interruptions.
The banter timer is hardcoded (every so often, the engine will automatically pick a random party member and make them start dialogue with the nearest PC).

Scripted banters could probably be hacked to work around this (adding ObjectActionListEmpty() everywhere), but I have little doubt it would cause a substantial number of problems, so there's not much we can do, sorry.

Scripted banters could probably be hacked to work around this (adding ObjectActionListEmpty() everywhere), but I have little doubt it would cause a substantial number of problems, so there's not much we can do, sorry.

Unfortunately, IWD has it hard-coded already - a scripted interparty banter won't fire unless the action list for the particular NPC is empty - and it causes a HUGE problem. :) So, yeah, we're lucky BG2 is coded as it is.

I admit that it is extremely rare, and therefore a minor issue, but let me clarify something. Iirc, if I have a character start to cast a spell, but then give them another order, the spell won't be cast, but the spell will remain in the spellbook. Am I wrong about this?

Yep. If you start casting the spell (i.e., you get the spell animation) and then give them another order before they finish the spell, it's lost (i.e., it disappears from the spellbook as soon as you start casting).

Archived