Questions about scaling NPC to PC level

ericp07

Hello,

As I've mentioned before, and as I've seen in some other mods, I'd like my mod NPC ranger to have versions of herself at different levels, so she can join a party at a level that's close to the main character's own. Initially, I created her at 7th level, and I've set up four different .CREs to represent her at higher levels: 10th, 11th, 13th, and 15th level versions.

My first question is: are these reasonable variations, or is there a better scheme to follow? I haven't adjusted all her saves and other statistics that increase as a character increases in level, so I'll go over that soon.

I'm also interested to know what would be considered a reasonable enchantment bonus amount for her weapons and armor, and perhaps some examples of other magical gear that would be appropriate at different level ranges, so that I don't end up giving her under- or overpowered gear for the level at which she'd join the party.

All helpful advice will be greatly appreciated, in the interest of fine-tuning my mod. I'd like to work out all the other details, so I can then concentrate on her dialog/banter.

Thanks and happy modding,

Eric

Guest Guest

Standard Bioware practice seems to be starting characters in a range from 161.000 (some go as low as 90.000) to a maximum of 1.200.000 EXP in SoA. Minsc can join at levels 7-12, Valygar at 8-12. Characters summoned in ToB seem to join at lv 12 with 2.500.000 EXP. I would recommend the same range for mod characters as well.

Equipment depends on where and how the character joins. If roaming Irenicus' dungeon, they should start with an unenchanted weapon and low-level armour at best (...unless they're working for him). If hanging around Athkatla and reasonably successful (Korgan), up to two generic +1 items. If somewhat established/wealthy (Nalia, Anomen), one special magic item, up to +2 with a special ability. If well established and/or wealthy (Keldorn, Valygar), two special items, as above. Other than Jan's stuff (which is mostly just plain weird), Valygar's +3 chain seems to be the only piece of NPC gear that doesn't follow these guidelines, and it's positively broken compared to most of the rest.

Standard Bioware practice seems to be starting characters in a range from 161.000 (some go as low as 90.000) to a maximum of 1.200.000 EXP in SoA. Minsc can join at levels 7-12, Valygar at 8-12. Characters summoned in ToB seem to join at lv 12 with 2.500.000 EXP. I would recommend the same range for mod characters as well.

Equipment depends on where and how the character joins. If roaming Irenicus' dungeon, they should start with an unenchanted weapon and low-level armour at best (...unless they're working for him). If hanging around Athkatla and reasonably successful (Korgan), up to two generic +1 items. If somewhat established/wealthy (Nalia, Anomen), one special magic item, up to +2 with a special ability. If well established and/or wealthy (Keldorn, Valygar), two special items, as above. Other than Jan's stuff (which is mostly just plain weird), Valygar's +3 chain seems to be the only piece of NPC gear that doesn't follow these guidelines, and it's positively broken compared to most of the rest.

So, 8th level might be a good place to start, then. This NPC has never been to Athkatla, or inside any city anywhere, as she's almost constantly out in the wilderness to explore, maintain established trails and blaze new ones when needed. She hires herself out readily to trading caravans and other travelers, as long as they're not evil. Sometimes, she'll offer her services as a guide free of charge, feeling that becoming better acquainted with various races (and making sure they don't spoil the wilds) is payment enough. She doesn't amass wealth, but gives excess coin and trade goods to her family. +2 for her weapons and armor should be fine, then (I hope), and I could make her special scimitar higher than that, to be gained only when she's reached a certain level (no, I won't make it a +5 weapon).

More input is welcome and encouraged :suspect:

Thanks,

Eric

Depends. Seems to me that the NPCs waiting for you outside CI are lower level than those in the Umar Hills. If Hinaeariel is waiting at the Mythrest Inn, starting her at level 7 is probably better. If she's sharing a cell with Windspear's kid, you might even be able to start her at level 9.

Personally, I'm considering starting Gavin at level 1, and giving him a leveling script. That way the player can choose his proficiencies.

Depends. Seems to me that the NPCs waiting for you outside CI are lower level than those in the Umar Hills. If Hinaeariel is waiting at the Mythrest Inn, starting her at level 7 is probably better. If she's sharing a cell with Windspear's kid, you might even be able to start her at level 9.

Personally, I'm considering starting Gavin at level 1, and giving him a leveling script. That way the player can choose his proficiencies.

While Hinaeariel is intended for use with BGII - SoA/ToB, I imagine she could also be used with BGI, though I have no plans to facilitate that. Hinaeariel first appears near the center of AR1200, somewhat southeast of the lycanthropes and gnolls, near a crossable stream of water. This represents that she's currently on the move, hunting and being hunted. I'm thinking of setting her at the bottom of 8th level, as that strikes me as a nice average. She should appear well able to handle herself in the dangerous wilderness areas. I haven't yet decided on her degree of familiarity with all the outdoor area maps in the game, but she's spent at least a week's time exploring all over the surrounding areas by the time the party meets her.

...which reminds me that I need to change her opening/joining dialog to reflect that she knows some of the lay of the land, and the likely location of Firkraag's lair...

Thanks,

Eric

I'm still not sure which levels, if any, above 8th, for which to make additional .CREs for Hinaeariel in BGII - SoA/ToB, in case a party of higher level ventures into Windspear Hills and accepts her offer to join them. The point would be moot for those who use Zyraen's XP Evener Script (as I do), but I want to increase the chances that this character will be close, if not equal, in level to the main character. Maybe skip two or three levels in between, to have 11th and 14th level versions?

I'm also wondering if I should make the character available to offer to join a party in ToB, in case the party didn't accept her during SoA. Ideally, though, she'd join in SoA, and then the player can decide whether she stays or goes.

Back to the .CRE issue. I saw a tutorial somewhere around here, I think, with an example of how the code should be written, and I'm guessing this code needs to be added at the beginning of one of the .d files. Is this correct? The "joining" .d file? I'd like to set this up and test it soon, if possible.

TIA for any help!

Happy modding,

Eric

It is all in the .D, just calling on different parts (AFAIK). The leveling should be in the script, so, say, IF JoinedParty("NPC") //Or whatever it is, then detect the PC's XP, and increase your own accordingly.

Icen

It is all in the .D, just calling on different parts (AFAIK). The leveling should be in the script, so, say, IF JoinedParty("NPC") //Or whatever it is, then detect the PC's XP, and increase your own accordingly.

Icen

Looks a bit vague, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Pretty sure it's EP#Hina.d that I need to edit for this, and not EP#HinaJ.d, right?

Thanks,

Eric

Archived