Trivia Contest!

Sister Vigilante

So! In case you missed the memo, Angelo is no longer in the limbo of merely pseudo-supported mods; and pending updates may bring a few not-insignificant changes to everyone's favorite* custom NPC. Among these, I intend to give names to a few heretofore-unamed NPCs--and therein lies your (yes, your) shot at functional immortality! Simply correctly answer one of the questions below, and I will take your username and incorporate it into a future version of Angelo. And if it doesn't seem congenial to the game environment, I'll work in an oblique reference--or use any other name you provide me. I'm thinking I can find a place for two or three winners; and afterward, for the heck of it, I'll post all the answers.

Assuming anyone bites.

In any case, you could just try to answer them for fun...

Anyhow, here goes!

1) During the prelude to the infamous(?) bathing flirt in Amkethran, the PC has the option to tell a reluctant Angelo: "Don't lie to me! [if you bathed yourself] you'd just wet your hair and say you were done, wouldn't you?" Where does this line come from, and who was the original speaker?

2) Amato Sawara appears to suffer from a condition which, in fact, modern psychiatry--while eschewing its supernatural roots--recognizes as an "ethnic psychosis." What is this condition? (and no, it's not just "megalomania"--nice try)

3) Where does the name of the Soul of the Deep come from? (hint: the title of the final chapter of a novel)

4) What line (specifically what interjection), as acknowledged in the readme, is a reference to the works of St. Augustine? (this may be a little tricky even for one passingly acquainted with the Big A)

5) When Angelo kisses the PC for the first time, he asks her "if the earth moved;" and acknowledges (or perhaps protests) that he only heard this "lame line" from someone else. Who was that someone else, and what fictional universe do they hail from?

6) Who is Angelo's former captain, Esim, based on? (an easy one, but there has to be at least one easy one)

7) What two possible characters could Lady Kaede, Ginpachi's associate, be named after? (I'll accept either, although I'd be very impressed by anyone who could come up with both)

8) This last one is a three-parter:

-What, in English, is a certain major NPC saying as he dies?

-What, in English, is Oyaji saying various times you right-click on him?

-What, in English, are the most obvious meanings of Oyaji's and Sakaki's "names?"

* - that is everyone's favorite after Xan, Keto, Solaufein, Chloe, Valen, Tashia, Alassa &etc.

2. God-complex or paranoid schizophrenia. Not sure which one you're looking for (maybe neither).

7. There was a character named Kaede in a series of books I read by Lian Hearn... Tales of the Otori, I believed they were called, and the first book is "Across the Nightingale Floor".

I dunno all three parts to eight, but I think Oyaji means grandfather.

2. God-complex or paranoid schizophrenia. Not sure which one you're looking for (maybe neither).

Ooh sorry, with this one

modern psychiatry--while eschewing its supernatural roots--recognizes as an "ethnic psychosis."

this part is key--although it's still largely a matter of "know it or don't"

7. There was a character named Kaede in a series of books I read by Lian Hearn... Tales of the Otori, I believed they were called, and the first book is "Across the Nightingale Floor".

Actually, I had others in mind--but this makes me realize it was a vague question, since there could be hordes of Kaedes out there I don't know about--and I'm vaguely familiar with these books, find it perfectly plausible there was a Kaede in them, and find it a more than natural assumption--so, I'll give it to you! Does just "Akasha" work for an NPC name?

For the record, I was thinking of either

-Kaede Nagase (de gozaru), the teenaged ninja apprentice and "big sister" type from Ken Akamatsu's Mahou Sensei Negima; or

-Lady Kaede, the genuinely terrifying Regan/Goneril figure from Ran, Akira Kurosawa's take on King Lear.

I've heard 1) before but I don't know where, which is annoying.

Now, as for Sawara's psychosis, he is obviously a clinical psycopath with narcissistic tendencies, but I'm guessing the one you were going for is kitsunetsuki (yes, I did some digging around to find this).

From Wiki:

"In medicine, kitsunetsuki is an ethnic psychosis unique to Japanese culture. Those who suffer from the condition believe they are possessed by a fox. Symptoms include cravings for rice or sweet red beans, listlessness, restlessness, and aversion to eye contact. Kitsunetsuki is similar to but distinct from clinical lycanthropy."

I'm not sure about the cravings but Sawara does seem to dig foxes. :)

I know some of the other answers but will leave them for other folks to figure out so they can get a stab at the naming thing. Unless I'm completely wrong on the above, in which case I'll post some of the others.

Bingo! :D

Cal Jones, Cal Jones...How do you like "Senoj?" Might be a bit too much like "Semaj" from BGI (which has a similiar, err, etymology), but one might assume the two hail from a similiar ethnic background...

Now, as for Sawara's psychosis, he is obviously a clinical psycopath with narcissistic tendencies, but I'm guessing the one you were going for is kitsunetsuki (yes, I did some digging around to find this).

From Wiki:

"In medicine, kitsunetsuki is an ethnic psychosis unique to Japanese culture. Those who suffer from the condition believe they are possessed by a fox. Symptoms include cravings for rice or sweet red beans, listlessness, restlessness, and aversion to eye contact. Kitsunetsuki is similar to but distinct from clinical lycanthropy."

I know some of the other answers but will leave them for other folks to figure out so they can get a stab at the naming thing. Unless I'm completely wrong on the above, in which case I'll post some of the others.

Bingo! :D

Cal Jones, Cal Jones...How do you like "Senoj?" Might be a bit too much like "Semaj" from BGI (which has a similiar, err, etymology), but one might assume the two hail from a similiar ethnic background...

From Wiki:

Well indeed, the two could be related. (I suspect the Bioware bods were running out of names when they got around to poor old Semaj. ;) I know Sarevok was named after one of the designers' P&P characters...)

Weird coincidence - I was reading the paper this morning and there was a little news item on a 10 year old kid called Semaj (actually - the story is here: http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-s...0,7354944.story )

And there was me thinking it was just James backwards. But apparently there are few people out there saddled with that name. Odd!

Well I know what my kid is getting named now. The boy, at least.

Victory!--to AkashaCatBat, Cal Jones and Yili, whose names will indeed be appearing in a future release of Angelo (that is assuming Yili wants his/hers too, since he/she answered unintentionally :fish: ) that sho-ould be released some time before the end of the year.

Thanks for playing! :O And as promised, for the heck of it, here is the complete cheat sheet:

1) The PC is quoting Asuna Kagurazaka, from Ken Akamatsu's Mahou Sensei Negima, trying to give her nine-year-old "teacher" a bath

3) "The Soul of the Deep" is the final chapter title of Yoshikawa Eiji's Musashi, a fictional retelling of the life of perhaps Japan's most famous swordsman, termed the "Gone With The Wind of Japan" by its translator (former U.S. ambassador Reischauer)

4) Angelo observing in Brynlaw that pirates are pirates because they "only have one ship" (if they had a fleet, they'd be kings) is a remark famously recorded in Augustine's City of God, by a particularly clever pirate to one of the Ceasars

5) As Yili knows, Angelo is throwing out what's since become a cliche, but which I believe originated with the protagonist of Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls

6) Othello, the Moor of Venice

Cheers,

SV

Victory!--to AkashaCatBat, Cal Jones and Yili, whose names will indeed be appearing in a future release of Angelo (that is assuming Yili wants his/hers too, since he/she answered unintentionally :fish: ) that sho-ould be released some time before the end of the year.

it's hers and yes, i'd love it, thanks!!!

Archived