Playing sounds inside the game

Skye

I seem to have stumbled upon a problem, I would like a spell to play a custom sound effect when it's cast, however the standard method makes those sounds subject to the environment they are cast in (at least I think that's the problem), making them too quiet, having echoes, lowering the pitch etc. Is there any way to play a sound file as-is or is that reserved for character sounds and music?

I'm not sure what you mean. If it's the casting sound, then maybe that's controlled dynamically by the engine. You might want to check your recording level to make sure (should be ~4db or so to match other sounds). You can also add an effect to a spell to make it play a sound, which might work better for what you're doing. Just takes a little manipulation with DLTCEP or NI.

I completely forgot that I made this thread. :fish: The problem was (or is since I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet) that none of the spell related sounds work as a plain sound but are always subject to the environment they are cast in, this goes for casting sound, completion sound or spell effect but I think I've made my point pretty clear in the opening post. So far I can't think of any way to change that, I might try using a script to see if that makes any difference. There's no point in having custom sounds if they can't be heard properly. :O

Well if you tried it as an effect (not a casting or completion sound) and that didn't make a difference, then I guess you could try PlaySound() in a script. You might try turning off Environmental Audio too, if it's on. Also in bgconfig.exe there's dynamically-determined audio settings (e.g. for VVC audio) you could try messing with.

Well messing with settings might make a difference for me but it's a mod so it has to work for everyone else too. :) I'll figure something out when I have the time, I'm too busy writing the dialogue atm to think of such trivial things anyway. ^^

Archived