About the fighting script

Sir_Carnifex

I played Amber nearly all the way through SoA before I had to do a re-install. I found pretty much everything to be satisfactory or more so, except for one small thing.

Since I had two tanks in the party, I'd have her stand back and use ranged weapons. The problem is that with AI on, after throwing a couple darts, she'd always switch to her sword, charge up to the front, and, if I didn't catch her in time, more than likely die. I had Minsc and my PC up front to take the damage. She was supposed to stay back! Well, the result of her foolhardy actions was that if I wanted her to survive, I either had to turn off AI or monitor her constantly.

I realize this is a minor thing, but to those of us who forget to pay attention, that script can be very fatal. Other than that, I found the NPC to be very enjoyable to play. Keep up the good work!

Funny, since in my latest test game I had the trouble of trying to keep her on the melee she was switching to ranged weapon all the time. :D Stubborn creature, isn't she?

I can try to look the combat AI script to see if I can adjust it, but I can't promise that I know how to adjust it. I didn't make the AI myself.

However, a quick fix to the problem is to change her AI to something else locally. As you probably know, you can do that if you click the 'Customize' button on her character sheet. I assume a standard thief AI script would be more oriented to ranged combat. Note, that if she temporarily leaves the party you have to re-set the AI when she joins again. Changing the combat AI wont affect her behaviour outside the combat.

I happy to hear you enjoyed the mod! :D

Guest Severance

Does she run out of darts? If thats the problem I think you can set the game to pause when a "weapon becomes unusable" (run out of ammo).

Otherwise, yes, I would try another script.

However, a quick fix to the problem is to change her AI to something else locally. As you probably know, you can do that if you click the 'Customize' button on her character sheet. I assume a standard thief AI script would be more oriented to ranged combat. Note, that if she temporarily leaves the party you have to re-set the AI when she joins again. Changing the combat AI wont affect her behaviour outside the combat.

I thought of doing that before but I wasn't sure if her script was custom so I didn't want to mess it up by switching it. I'll probably do that next time I go through. Thanks.

Does she run out of darts? If thats the problem I think you can set the game to pause when a "weapon becomes unusable" (run out of ammo).

She will use maybe two to five darts, then move in to be killed. Ammo is the first thing I checked.

Depends what you're up against. The AI script is set up to concentrate on mages and clerics; if one of those happens to be in the first four enemy and she is within four search squares she will down darts and go in for the kill. Trouble is.... most of the BG2 NPCs have the wrong classes attached to them and that sometimes causes all sorts of grief. I think someone (Miloch?) recently went through and corrected them all, so when that's available (if it isn't already) it should make a considerable difference to behaviour. In terms of non-combat behaviour, all changing the script will do is prevent Amber from checking and if necessary, healing, Protagonist and/or Player2 (depending on who is the love interest). There is also the problem that the Infinity Engine seems not to be able to run consistant distance or LOS checks, hence Meira's problem of Amber trying to switch to ranged weapons while in melee combat.

Amber was designed to mesh seamlessly with my party co-operation AI scripts, as well as having some custom actions of her own. Changing the script will not be detrimental to the way the story plays out.

-Y-

I have recently found another small issue with Amber's AI script:

When I'm fighting a troll (any troll), and it falls dowm, but is yet to be killed, Amber (who is using fire arrows in my team, specifically for that) stops attacking it. When I order her to attack it again, it doesn't always work, either.

Archived