Suggestion

Lantier

Dear DavidW:

I have a suggstion re making the game more interesting. How about adding a component to SCSII that randomly scatters various major magic items?

I'll admit that I saw this idea first in the Improved Anvil readme. For those of us who don't want to install IA (for whatever reason), it'd be nice to have this option via SCSII.

If you decide to mull this over, here are some items that I thought would be fun to scatter:

Staff of the Magi

Vhailor's Helm

Protection from Magic scrolls

Protection from Undead scrolls

Carsomyr

Belt of Frost Giant Strength

Belt of Hill Giant Strength

Robe of Vecna

Celestial Fury

Flail of the Ages

Belm

Kudane

Shield of Balduran

Reflection Shield

Mirror Cloak

Non-Detection Cloak

Ras

Gaxx Ring

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. Thanks for all your great work on SCSII.

I have a suggstion re making the game more interesting. How about adding a component to SCSII that randomly scatters various major magic items?
If I'm not wrong he already had such a component in mind. Anyway though the idea is good and would probably enhance the replayability I don't like it too much, I do prefer components that move them in a fixed/better/more appropriated place (e.g. moving Vecna to one of the most powerful lich fight in ToB is really a great choice imo). Anyway some items you've mentioned shouldn't be randomly scattered at all: Carsomyr, Flail of Ages and Gaxx have entire quests that tie them to where they are in vanilla's game.

Belm should be better protected, period - possibly held by Ihtafeer as she is in the same general area? Anyway I'd certainly vote for it to be moved somewhere slightly more inaccessible. The +1 ApR (+2 with improved haste) is so good many people continue dual-wielding Belm to the end of ToB.

As for more general randomisation...I'd probably vote yes for a lot of the choice merchant-held goodies (especially from the 2 "bonus" merchants, I'd suggest redistributing their items to various baddies and removing the merchants from the game). As noted by other posters though, some of the other top items have a rationale for being where they are.

Good point re the specific items. I hadn't thought of that! It does make sense to leave them alone.

But I would prefer to have the option to have items scatter randomly instead of just moved to a specific tougher guardian (maybe making it a choice at installation?). Really it's the replayability factor that I'm hoping for. Not knowing where to go to get, say, Undead Protection Scrolls would make them really valuable, no?

Oh, one more to add to the list: Azure's Edge. Not having that thing easily accessible sure would make liches a lot scarier... :)

Anyway, if DavidW already has this in mind, then I can't wait for it to be implemented. Way cool.

Belm should be better protected, period - possibly held by Ihtafeer as she is in the same general area?
As for more general randomisation...I'd probably vote yes for a lot of the choice merchant-held goodies (especially from the 2 "bonus" merchants, I'd suggest redistributing their items to various baddies and removing the merchants from the game).
That's exactly what I'm going to do with IR. ;) Anyway DavidW can do it far better than me, I would only move the items while he can use them to create improved challenges like Gromnir or Vongoethe. :)
So IR should be installed after tweakpack? Due to changing the merchants?
You can install it either before or after. But if you install it before Tweak Pack it seems logic to skip the component which restores them (it would probably undo what IR does, and IR already "restores" their items anyway). I've yet to decide how to implement it, exactly because of compatibility issues, and as of V1 (which is in its final coding stage) I may temporarily skip this component.

Archived