Amber & CrossmodBanterPack

Guest ArtLife

Guest ArtLife

Hey, guys. I'd like to use both of this mods, but seems like they can't work together, at least for me. So, can you upload any earlier version of Amber, which is compatible with crossmod?

Or maybe there is some kind of solution? Or it's my-side problem?

Thx.

Would you please describe your problem in greater detail? Is the installation failing? Are you not getting banters? Are you getting blank dialogue windows? Have Nalia's eyes turned purple... oh, wait, that's the default portrait.

It's difficult to troubleshoot your issue without more information. Thanks.

Guest ArtLife

Sure. If i install Amber before Crossmod, i get installation error in Crossmod. Otherwise both installations goes well, but i get terrible slowdown ingame.

By "slowdown," do you mean that everyone's movements are jerky and that even the game clock's pendulum doesn't move smoothly, or do you mean that only Amber is affected?

Also, if you have just tried to install Crossmod after Amber, would you please send your debug file to my screen name @gmail.com?

What version are you trying to install, and what is your operating system?

By "slowdown," do you mean that everyone's movements are jerky and that even the game clock's pendulum doesn't move smoothly, or do you mean that only Amber is affected?

I mean first one. There's kind of slideshow on game screen.

Also, if you have just tried to install Crossmod after Amber, would you please send your debug file to my screen name @gmail.com?

no problem, wait a bit.

What version are you trying to install?

I've downloaded mods from this site, so i guess it's v2.5 for amber and v7 for crossmod.

what is your operating system?

XP+SP3

OK, received the file you sent. I've got a work deadline, so I won't be able to look at it until tomorrow, but I should be able to poke around with it tomorrow night.

The lag you are experiencing is likely due to either an overloaded override folder (too many mods) or too many scripts trying to work at once. Some of the script-heavy NPCs like Amber and Saerileth tend to run a little slower because their scripts are big. This is especially noticable on systems with 512MB RAM, and even more noticable when you're running with a lot of other mods. I can point you to the posts I made back when I was a newbie, accusing Amber of breaking my game. The culprit was actually that I'd installed Amber, Saerileth, and a few other NPC mods on a system that was barely up to running BG2.

The chances that Crossmod Banter Pack might be contributing to lag are remote. You see, CBP adds very little in the way of either bulk or script. All the files are very, very small.

That doesn't mean that there aren't other issues. I don't like the sound of the installation error you're talking about.

But I'll know more tomorrow night when I look at your debug file. You can expect a reply here on Saturday.

The lag you are experiencing is likely due to either an overloaded override folder (too many mods) or too many scripts trying to work at once. Some of the script-heavy NPCs like Amber and Saerileth tend to run a little slower because their scripts are big. This is especially noticable on systems with 512MB RAM, and even more noticable when you're running with a lot of other mods.

Yeah, i think the same way -)

As it happened, I finished my assignment a couple hours earlier than I'd anticipated, so I decided to take a crack at your problem.

Turns out the problem is due to Amber's new version. Well, that isn't strictly true. Amber's new version is fine, it's CBP's ability to set strings for one of the funkier weidu commands that's failing.

This is the message from your debug.

Defining Amber joining state

Stopping installation because of error.

Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Crossmod Banter Pack for Shadows of Amn - version 6 (03Nov2007)], rolling back to previous state

[CrossmodBG2\Backup/0/UNSETSTR.0] SET_STRING uninstall info not found

Will uninstall 35 files for [CROSSMODBG2/SETUP-CROSSMODBG2.TP2] component 0.

First the good news. It isn't your imagination.

Now, the bad news. It's going to take me a little while to figure this out. I'm a bit shaky on S_W_S under the best of circumstances, and 3AM is no time to improve my proficiency. Since this worked just fine with older versions of Amber, I'm guessing the TRA reference was updated, which means that I've got to determine what the new TRA reference is, and update CBP accordingly. This is going to play merry hell with backwards compatibility. But this is my problem, not yours.

If you're determined to play *right now*, I can give you a quick and dirty workaround that will disable mod NPC interjections in Amber's joining and kidnapping dialogues. It isn't a perfect solution, but it will get the mod installed.

You're going to have to edit the tp2 to get this to install right now.

1. Open your BG2 game directory
  2. Find Crossmod's mod folder, labeled CrossmodBG2
  3. Find the file labeled setup-crossmodbg2.tp2
  4. Open it with any text editor
  5. Find the following block of code

// Amber

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~m#amber.dlg~
THEN BEGIN

PRINT ~Defining Amber joining state~
 OUTER_SET actual_joining_state = (STATE_WHICH_SAYS 5023 IN ~amber/tra/%s/dialogs.tra~ FROM ~m#amber~)
 PRINT ~Defining Amber kidnapping state~
 OUTER_SET actual_kidnapping_state = (STATE_WHICH_SAYS 5207 IN ~amber/tra/%s/dialogs.tra~ FROM ~m#ambern~)
 PRINT ~Completed... moving on~

// Auren interjections into Amber

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~k#aurenj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Auren injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Auren_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Auren_Interjections.d~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~temp_joining_state~ ~%actual_joining_state%~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~temp_kidnapping_state~ ~%actual_kidnapping_state%~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Auren_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~k#auren.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Interject_k#auren.baf~
 END

// Kelsey interjections into Amber

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~j#klsyj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Kelsey injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Kelsey_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Kelsey_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Kelsey_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~j#klsy.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Interject_j#klsy.baf~
 END

// Keto interjections into Amber

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~fwketoj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Keto injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Keto_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Keto_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Keto_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~fwketo.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Interject_fwketo.baf~
 END

// Kivan of Shilmista interjections into Amber

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~p#kivj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Kivan of Shilmista injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Kivan_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Kivan_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Kivan_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~p#kiv01.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Interject_p#kiv01.baf~
 END

// Kulyok's Xan interjections into Amber

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~o#xans.bcs~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Kulyok's Xan injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Xan_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Xan_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Xan_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~o#xans.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Interject_o#xans.baf~
 END

END

Make it look like this (you're just adding a /* before everything and */ afterward).

// Amber

/*
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~m#amber.dlg~
THEN BEGIN

PRINT ~Defining Amber joining state~
 OUTER_SET actual_joining_state = (STATE_WHICH_SAYS 5023 IN ~amber/tra/%s/dialogs.tra~ FROM ~m#amber~)
 PRINT ~Defining Amber kidnapping state~
 OUTER_SET actual_kidnapping_state = (STATE_WHICH_SAYS 5207 IN ~amber/tra/%s/dialogs.tra~ FROM ~m#ambern~)
 PRINT ~Completed... moving on~
*/

// Auren interjections into Amber

/*
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~k#aurenj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Auren injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Auren_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Auren_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Auren_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~k#auren.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Auren/Interject_k#auren.baf~
 END

*/
 // Kelsey interjections into Amber

/*

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~j#klsyj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Kelsey injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Kelsey_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Kelsey_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Kelsey_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~j#klsy.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Kelsey/Interject_j#klsy.baf~
 END

*/
 // Keto interjections into Amber

/*
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~fwketoj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Keto injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Keto_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Keto_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Keto_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~fwketo.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/Keto/Interject_fwketo.baf~
 END

*/
 // Kivan of Shilmista interjections into Amber

/*
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~p#kivj.dlg~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Kivan of Shilmista injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Kivan_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Kivan_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Kivan_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~p#kiv01.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KivanOfShilmista/Interject_p#kiv01.baf~
 END
*/
 // Kulyok's Xan interjections into Amber
/*
 ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~o#xans.bcs~
 THEN BEGIN
PRINT ~Adding Kulyok's Xan injections into Amber's dialogues...~
COPY - ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Xan_Interjections.d~ ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Xan_Interjections.d~
COMPILE ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Xan_Interjections.d~
EXTEND_TOP ~o#xans.bcs~  ~CrossmodBG2/SoA/Interjections/Amber/KulyokXan/Interject_o#xans.baf~
 END

END
*/

Save the file and reinstall Crossmod Banter Pack.

Sorry it's such a terrible hack. I'll see if I can get a better working solution over the weekend, but this will allow you to carry on right now.

Archived